Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Tommy Rees returns to Notre Dame as quarterbacks coach

Notre Dame added a familiar face to its coaching staff Tuesday as Irish head coach Brian Kelly brought back former Irish quarterback Tommy Rees to take over as quarterbacks coach.

Rees played at Notre Dame from 2010 to 2013, and started in every game but one his sophomore season and all 13 games his senior season. He also helped the Irish get to the BCS national championship game in 2012 as a backup to Everett Golson during his junior season.

“When I finished my playing career and graduated from Notre Dame, I wanted to do two things,” Rees said in a University press release. “First, I wanted to coach, and second, at some point in my career, I hoped to get an opportunity to return and do it at my alma mater. I didn’t know when or if this opportunity might present itself, but I’m so grateful and honored that it did. I’m ready to get things rolling with this great staff and group of student-athletes.”

Former Irish quarterback Tommy Rees rolls out to pass during Notre Dame’s 14-10 win over USC on Oct. 19, 2013, at Notre Dame Stadium.
Observer File Photo
Former Irish quarterback Tommy Rees rolls out to pass during Notre Dame’s 14-10 win over USC on Oct. 19, 2013, at Notre Dame Stadium. Rees will replace Mike Sanford, who left for Western Kentucky, as quarterbacks coach.

Rees’ career record as a starter is 23-8, which is good for the seventh-most wins by an Irish quarterback. Rees ranks second in Notre Dame history in passing touchdowns, and third in passing yards.

“I’m very excited to have Tom join our staff,” Brian Kelly said in a press release. “He possesses an understanding of the game, and most importantly the quarterback position, that’s unique. He’s a true student of the game and great communicator that will offer immediate dividends toward guiding our quarterback room.

“As a former quarterback at Notre Dame, Tom also has a rare ability to truly relate with the quarterbacks on our roster. He’s literally sat in their seat, dealt with the ups and downs, faced the criticism, deflected the praise and all that comes with playing the position at Notre Dame. He can genuinely mentor them — not only on the football field, but in the classroom and the community as well.”

Before joining Notre Dame's staff, Rees served as an offensive assistant coach at Northwestern and with the San Diego Chargers.