Alumni Association names award recipients

During the winter meeting of the Alumni Association’s Board of Directors, two musicians and the founder of an after-school program for children in Kansas City’s urban core were honored with Notre Dame Alumni Association awards, according to a press release. 

Chuck Perrin, class of 1969, was awarded with the 2016 Rev. Anthony J. Lauck, C.S.C., Award. The award recognizes alumni achievements in fine arts and visual arts.

On campus, Perrin performed and acted as well as operated a performance space that became an off-campus arts hub for interaction between teachers and students. He started a similar space in his hometown of San Diego called Dizzy’s Jazz. Dizzy’s Jazz, an all-ages performance collective, has become an acclaimed San Diego institution known among jazz fans internationally.

Gene Bertoncini, jazz musician and class of 1959, received the 2016 Rev. Arthur S. Harvey, C.S.C, Award. This award honors alumni with outstanding achievement in performing arts.

Bertoncini, originally from New York, graduated Notre Dame with a degree in architecture. He is one of the world’s preeminent jazz guitarists and was a member of The Tonight Show Band during Johnny Carson’s tenure. Aside from performing and recording, Bertoncini also teaches at the Eastman School of Music and William Paterson University.

Bradley Grabs, class of 1992, was awarded the William D. Reynolds Award for his work with the youth and his dedication to serving children in need.

Grabs graduated Notre Dame with a degree in accounting and discovered his passion for working with children during his year with the Vincentian Service Corps West. Afterward, he began teaching at Rockhurst Jesuit High School in Kansas City, Missouri. He started the Learning Club of KCK in 2002, an after-school and summer program for children in the urban core. The Learning Club and its over 100 volunteers currently serve more than 120 children per week at five sites.