Sunday, May 12, 2024

Incoming Editor-in-Chief names supporting staff

Juniors Katie Galioto, Marek Mazurek, Rachel O’Grady and Megan Valley will help oversee The Observer’s Editorial Board next year, incoming Editor-in-Chief Ben Padanilam announced Thursday.

Galioto will take on the Managing Editor position, the paper’s No. 2 spot, while Mazurek, O’Grady and Valley will all serve as Assistant Managing Editors.

Galioto, who studies political science with minors in business economics and Journalism, Ethics and Democracy, most recently served as the paper’s News Editor last semester. She hails from Chanhassen, Minnesota and is currently studying abroad in Rome. On campus, she lives in Walsh Hall.  

During her time with The Observer, Galioto has covered a variety of campus issues, including sexual assault, the 2016 presidential election and the ESPN lawsuit against the University and Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP).

“I think The Observer is an invaluable part of the Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s community,” she said. “I’m excited to work with this team over the course of the next year to continue to provide top-quality reporting on topics that matter to our readers.”

Mazurek hails from Mishawaka, Indiana, and studies history, with a minor in Journalism, Ethics and Democracy. Over the past year, Mazurek served as Sports Editor, covering the football and men’s basketball teams. Mazurek resides in Carroll Hall.

“I’m really excited for the year ahead,” Mazurek said. “Our goal is to keep our readers informed and engaged and our staff will continue to work to accomplish this. It’s a privilege and an honor to serve The Observer in a leadership role.”

O’Grady is a junior majoring in political science, and most recently took over as News Editor while Galioto is abroad, having served as Associate News Editor prior to that. A native of the city of Chicago, O’Grady currently resides in Ryan Hall. During her time at The Observer, she has covered a wide breadth of topics, including the inner workings of the Notre Dame student government and the 2016 presidential election.

“My time at The Observer has been one of my most meaningful experiences at Notre Dame, and I’m excited to take on a larger role this coming year,” O’Grady said. “We’ve got a great team, and I’m looking forward to tackling the next year together.”

Valley is a junior majoring in the Program of Liberal Studies and English. She hails from Flushing, Michigan and lives in Flaherty Hall. During her time at The Observer, Valley served as Associate News Editor and covered the 2016 presidential election, sustainability on campus and the review of the core curriculum, among many other topics.

“The Observer has been such an important part of my time at Notre Dame, and I’m really excited to see what we can accomplish over the next year,” Valley said.

Galioto, Mazurek, O’Grady and Valley officially begin their new roles March 19.