-

-

Fencing

Notre Dame looks to keep momentum in Northwestern Duals

| Friday, February 3, 2017

Notre Dame looks to continue its dominance Saturday and Sunday against Northwestern in the Northwestern Duals at Castellan Family Fencing Center.

Notre Dame’s facility will house the event, but it will technically be hosted by the Wildcats due to renovations over at the Wildcats’ fencing center.

The Wildcats women, ranked No. 9 in the country, are returning to Castellan Family Fencing Center after winning four of their five matches and picking up a 14-3 loss to the Irish in last weekend’s DeCicco Duals.

At the DeCicco Duals, Northwestern defeated Lawrence, Wayne State, Detroit and Florida. The Wildcats toppled their opponents by a combined score of 105-12, but were outscored by 11 points in their lone loss to the Irish.

The Irish men, ranked No. 3 nationally, are coming off of decisive victories over Wisconsin, Virginia, Michigan State and Chicago, including two close wins against Michigan and McKendree in the DeCicco Duals.

The Irish women, ranked No. 4 nationally, are also coming off of absolute victories over Wisconsin, Virginia, Michigan, Michigan State, Chicago and McKendree.

A pair of Irish teammates, senior Ian Dwyer and sophomore Amanda Sirico, are going into the Northwestern Duals after being named ACC Fencers of the Week on Wednesday.

Dwyer, a native of Montclair, New Jersey, won by a combined mark of 17-1 in the DeCicco Duals and helped lead the Irish to victory in the two-day span.

Sirico, a sophomore from Bowie, Maryland, defeated her opponents 15-7 in the DeCicco Duals and was responsible for three of Notre Dame’s five wins during the duals in epee competition. Sirico became the second straight Irish woman to win ACC Fencers of the Week after senior foil Lee Kiefer won the award last week for her performance in the New York University Invitational.

Notre Dame will look to clinch a win against the Wildcats in the Northwestern Duals this Saturday and Sunday at Castellan Family Fencing Center.