-

-

Why I was pro-life before I became Catholic

| Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Twenty years ago, a young woman accidentally got pregnant. The timing couldn’t have been worse: She was going through hard times in marriage, her job was extremely demanding and she was still living in a tiny apartment sharing a room with her coworker. Although abortion was almost a social norm where she was from, she decided to keep the baby.

That woman is my mother and I am the baby she decided to keep.

I don’t know how much my mom’s life would have changed had she made a different decision. I suppose she could have had another child and could have still been happy — just like NARAL president Ilyse Hogue, who claimed at the Democratic National Convention that having an abortion was the best decision for her, and she was perfectly happy now with two incredible children. However, I do know how much my mother’s decision has changed my life. It’s frightening to think that I almost wouldn’t have existed: I wouldn’t be able to read, travel and see this beautiful world; I wouldn’t know how gentle a breeze feels and how sweet flowers smell; I wouldn’t meet all the wonderful people I love, and I wouldn’t fall in love and hopefully have my own family one day. I get to experience all the joy and beauty of life because my mother decided to give me a chance. It was not easy for her, but she did it anyways.

Am I calling women who have had abortion cowards who picked the easy way out? Absolutely not (just Ilyse Hogue). My mother was lucky: Despite all the difficulties she was going through, she still felt that she had the “choice” to keep me. Unfortunately, not every woman feels the same way. When the society makes a woman believe that abortion is her only option, she will “choose” it. But why not promote alternative solutions like adoption and child care subsidy so women can truly have their “choices”? Why not care for them and help them instead of mocking them for being stupid enough to become single moms? Therefore, I blame the government and the society, not the women who chose abortion out of despair. The bottom line is, whether you believe a fetus should be considered a human or not, you cannot deny that it has the potential to develop into a human being and live a wonderful life, the same one that you and I have the privilege to enjoy.

After the March for Life rally last Friday, I called my mom and told her how incredibly grateful I was to be brought into this world. She replied that keeping me was the best decision she has ever made. I could tell that she was holding back tears. If she were not such a brave woman, I would not even be here today. It feels nice to be loved. I wish more lives could know that feeling.

Grace Zhu

senior

Feb 7

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email viewpoint@ndsmcobserver.com

• Bush O’Neill

I, too, wish that more lives could know the feeling. The gentle breezes of shabby homes gracefully provided by the bullets of a drive-by shooting. The sweet smell of burnt crack-cocaine in the kitchen of a mother who would rather tend to her addiction than the child whose existence grants her government funds to perpetuate a mental illness. The joy and beauty of a child brought into an ugly world because the mother could not legally terminate her pregnancy–all because the political wills of individuals other than herself deemed her desire to ruin two lives “murder.” I’m holding back tears of joy.

• Fruitloops2016

Thanks for your comment! And yes there’s a possibility that these children won’t have a good life after they’re born, but there’s also a chance that they will. My mom, for example, thought I would end up growing up in an 130 sqft apartment and have a terrible life with a single mom who’s too busy to take care of me. That didn’t happen and I’m glad she didn’t terminate me because she “didn’t want me to suffer”. It really depends on how much you value the possibility that these children could have a good life. Another thing is if you’re so worried about these people’s welfare, why not promote adoption, fight urban crimes, and ask for better education system? Abortion doesn’t seem to be the most logical answer to your concerns

• what no really

“However, I do know how much my mother’s decision has changed my life. It’s frightening to think that I almost wouldn’t have existed: I wouldn’t be able to read, travel and see this beautiful world; I wouldn’t know how gentle a breeze feels and how sweet flowers smell; I wouldn’t meet all the wonderful people I love, and I wouldn’t fall in love and hopefully have my own family one day. I get to experience all the joy and beauty of life because my mother decided to give me a chance.”

You seem to not grasp the concept of never having existed?

• Punta Venyage

Stated another way, “what no really” is saying that
      You would have no reference point to experience or feel the “loss” of not having lived because that implies in the hypothetical scenario that there is a “you” that would be aware of not having the experience of being born. Or… it’s impossible to imagine the experience of not existing.

This isn’t to say yes or no to abortion, but is just highlighting that the form of reasoning you presented is based on emotional rhetoric and isn’t the strongest argument to put forward.
      I would recommend focusing on “What is the unborn?”

• Fruitloops2016

Thanks for the comment! The paragraph you were referring to was meant to be emotional– I’m expressing my gratitude to be here as the actual me. Babies who perished before they are born don’t know what they could have had, but as a “survivor” I know what I could NOT have had. I really prefer to have my life, and I don’t think we should deny someone else’s right to experience theirs even if they don’t know what they’re missing and there’s a chance that their life could be a rough one. A more rational argument is also stated in the paragraph following the one you mentioned.

• Punta Venyage

Sure thing, well said.
          I am wondering what are the qualifications for receiving the human “rights”, including this “right” to experience life’s experience… Or, put another way, who gets the “right” to experience a first taste of life? Presumably we’ll say all humans, and then that leads us back to the “What is the unborn?” focus.