Saint Mary's come up short seeking first conference win

Saint Mary’s played its closest MIAA game of the season, but is still without a conference victory after falling 67-56 to Adrian.

The Belles (1-19, 0-12 MIAA) fell 4-0 behind within 45 seconds, and despite tying the game again, trailed 15-8 late in the first quarter before a jumper from sophomore forward Caroline Macius brought the game back to 15-10 after the first quarter.

In the second quarter, the Belles brought the game back to 24-23, but the Bulldogs (12-8, 7-5) scored the last six points of the half within three minutes to lead 30-23 at halftime.

In an evenly matched third quarter, Adrian’s lead was never less than five or more than 10 points, as both teams scored 16 in the quarter to enter the final period at 46-39.

In just over two minutes of fourth-quarter play, the Belles brought the game to within three points thanks to a layup from senior forward Kelsey Ronan. After the Bulldogs brought the lead back to six points, freshman guard Ally Steve cut the Bulldogs lead back down to a single score with a 3-pointer with just under three minutes left.

However, Adrain made nine of its 10 free throws down the stretch to prevent a Belles comeback and extend its lead to 14 points. A late 3-pointer from junior forward Gabby Diamond, who had 21 points and eight rebounds including 17 of the Belles’ 33 second-half points, meant the game finished 67-56 in Albion’s favor. Sophomore guard Erin Maloney had eight points and five assists.

The Belles will host Kalamazoo on Saturday. Tipoff is at 3 p.m.