Note Dame earns four individual first-place finishes in Iowa

The Irish bounced back from the Notre Dame Invitational and returned home with four individual victories after the Black & Gold Premier at the University of Iowa.

After the two-day competition, Notre Dame had first-place finishes from junior Jess Harris in the 800-meter with a 2:07, sophomore Matthew Birzer in the high jump with 2.31 meters, senior Nate Richartz in pole vault 5.25 meters, and junior Allison Bartoszewicz in the 200-meter dash with a 25.38.

Irish freshman pole vaulter Landon Shank runs toward the bar during the Blue & Gold Invitational on Dec. 2. Shank finished third in the event finals after clearing a 4.70 meter jump.

“I took first place and [sophomore] Kelly Hart was in second with 2:10, so we went one and two in the event, which is really exciting,” Harris said. “It was a good race, pretty even splits. It was a pretty standard performance, wasn’t a very competitive race and I ran by myself for the last two laps, but it was a good rust-buster. It was a good way to go out and get some even paces in. And the goal was to bring Kelly out in a good race. She was so close to her PR and we are looking for her placement again for this upcoming weekend.”

Although the competition at the Black & Gold Premier was not as competitive as other races, the meet was an opportunity for the team to continue to improve during the indoor season.

“The meet definitely had a lower standard of competition, but it was set up like a high-profile meet,” Harris said. “The facility was beautiful, the staff was excellent. The track is from Portland, the one they use to hold the Indoor Championship. It’s a fast 200-meter track and we had good performances. Overall, it was nice to travel together as a team and it’s great preparation for the Meyo Invitational.”

With the team back home, the Irish are now focusing on the Meyo Invitational, one of their biggest home meets, which will be at Loftus Sports Center on Friday and Saturday.