Irish extend win streak to six with weekend sweeps

Notre Dame notched its sixth consecutive victory this weekend, defeating both Michigan State and Bowling Green by scores of 6-0. 

Following the weekend sweep, the Irish (9-1, 2-0 ACC) feel very good about where they are at, Irish head coach Jay Louderback said.

“I was very excited to see great intensity in the entire team,” Louderback said of the weekend. “ ... Winning both doubles points was a positive step, and it put us in a position to play aggressive singles.”

Against Michigan State, the No. 1 doubles team of junior Brooke Broda and senior Monica Robinson was able to defeat its opponent in a quick 6-0 win. The No. 3 doubles team of senior Jane Fennelly and freshman Zoe Spence was able to defeat its opponent as well in a tighter 6-4 victory to earn the team the doubles point and give the Irish a lead going into singles play. 

Irish senior Monica Robinson prepares to hit a forehand during Notre Dame's 5-2 win over Purdue on Feb. 22 at Eck Tennis Pavilion.

The Irish came out strong on the singles courts against Michigan State as well, with each member of the Irish squad taking the first set and putting the pressure on the Spartans. Robinson was the first to victory, defeating her opponent 6-2, 6-1 at No. 1 singles. Spence ended up being the deciding point to win the match after senior Mary Closs’ 6-1, 6-3 victory, as the freshman defeated her opponent, 7-5, 6-2, at the No. 4 singles spot. 

Against Bowling Green, the Irish were just as strong, taking the doubles point with victories at the No. 3 spot with a forfeit and the No. 2 spot with Closs and junior Allison Miller defeating their opponents, 6-4. Notre Dame’s only misstep was at the No. 1 doubles position, as Robinson and Fennelly fell to their opponents, 6-2. 

Despite the ladder being adjusted up one spot to rest Robinson, the Irish were able to dominate the singles as well. With a forfeit at No. 6 singles putting the Irish up in the overall score at 2-0, sophomore Rachel Chong defeated her opponent, 6-0, 6-0, at the No. 5 position and was the first off the court for her teammates. Miller was close behind Chong, finishing her match with a 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 2 singles. Spence  finished 6-0, 6-3 at No. 3 singles and currently leads the Irish in victories this season at 15. Closs then clinched the match for Notre Dame with a 6-2, 6-2 win. 

The Irish will take this momentum into their matches against fellow ACC foes Boston College and Syracuse this Friday at 4 p.m. and Sunday at noon, respectively. Louderback said continuing with the current team mindset is its top priority going forward.

“We want to continue the intensity we have had all season,” he said.