Isabella DiLisio enjoys career-best weekend in Arizona

Notre Dame competed in the Westbrook Spring Invitational in Peoria, Arizona, over the weekend, as it tied for ninth place in the event, which was hosted by Wisconsin.

The Irish saw themselves tie for seventh place after the first two rounds Sunday before falling to a tie for ninth place with Washington State at 20-over par Monday.

Irish head coach Susan Holt said she believes a lack of consistency contributed to her team’s struggles in the tournament.

“We once again did not get the consistent play we need from the team each round,” Holt said. “We need to get four solid scores, and we just are not gettingit done. We need to play better as a unit.”

Sophomore Isabella DiLisio agreed with her coach and said her team’s overall performance was affected by the weather.

“We started off pretty strong,” DiLisio said. “Then, we struggled a bit in the afternoon round on Sunday when the wind started picking up. Going into the final round, we were in seventh place. Everyone seemed to struggle to make putts in the final round.”

Despite the her team’s poor finish, Holt did praise the performance of Notre Dame’s top-two finishers, DiLisio and sophomore Emma Albrecht. 

“Emma was very consistent each day, which is the play we need fromeveryone to be competitive,” Holt said. “ ... Isabella had a very good tournament; shot a three-round total of 5-under par and finished tied for third.

Albrecht finished the 36-hole first day of the tournament shooting a 3-over 147 before her final day performance wrapped up her total of 219, which tied her for 23rd place.

DiLisio’s performance included a 36-hole total of 138, which is her lowest such total in her Notre Dame career thus far. Her final round 73 led to her three-round total of 211, which tied the sixth-best such performance in program history.

After the weekend, DiLisio said she remains optimistic heading into the second half of the season.

“Overall, even though we didn't finish as well as we would have hoped, we are confident that we can continue to play better in our upcoming tournaments,” she said.

The Irish will look to improve upon their performance when they travel to Mesa, Arizona, to compete in the Clover Cup at Longbow Golf Club on March 17.