-

-

Mike Pence to be 2017 Commencement speaker

| Thursday, March 2, 2017

The University announced Thursday that Vice President Mike Pence will be the principal speaker at the 2017 Commencement ceremony.

Pence, who was governor of Indiana from 2013 to 2017 and a U.S. congressman and conservative talk radio host before that, will receive an honorary degree.

Pence webMichael Yu | The Observer

Then-Indiana Gov. Mike Pence speaks at the memorial commemorating University President Emeritus Fr. Theodore Hesburgh on March 4, 2015. The current vice president will be the principal speaker at the 2017 Commencement ceremonies, the University announced Thursday.

The announcement comes after months of speculation over whether the University would invite or host President Donald Trump as Commencement speaker, as it has done with several U.S. presidents in the past. Earlier this week, students protested the possibility that President Trump would be invited.

University vice president for public affairs and communications Paul Browne said Thursday that he would not “speculate or disclose” who the University had considered or invited, including Trump.

“Certainly one of the things that figured prominently was the fact that he was governor in our home state who had just become vice president of the United States …  and Governor Pence is a native son of Indiana and coincidentally, we will be celebrating ND’s founding 175 years ago in Indiana,” Browne said. “Those were elements of it.”

The Commencement ceremony will take place May 21 in Notre Dame Stadium.

This is a developing story. This post will be updated.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report
  • Blammm

Father Jenkins invited the Baby Killer because he wanted to have a “dialogue” (whatever that means). He should have stuck by his precedent.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Did you get triggered?

• Blammm

Nope. I’m just glad that Fr. Jenkins finally exposed himself to be the partisan hack he is after I had to deal with 2009 fiasco with protests for weeks beforehand. He ignored the bad to justify his decision and I had to put up with the fallout. Now the shoe is on the other foot and he runs back to Corby Hall in fear of liberal pitchforks.

No more donations from me.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

“No more donations for me”.
          Hey everybody, look at how rich I am! And since I am super rich, I can threaten universities if they don’t follow my bigotred agenda!

• Thomas Muldoon

Pence’s choice is a clever compromise to avoid inviting the morally bankrupt Trump. And when Trump gets impeached we won’t have to invite Pence because he already spoke at commencement.
    I suggest we give this year’s Laetare Medal to Cardinal Tobin who stood up to Pence on immigration.

• killshot

The Jenkster was smart in not inviting Pres. Trump. He likely would have gotten some serious feedback about taking $30 million from donors so we could name a building after himself.

• ND2014

Shameful. My heart goes out to the women, LGBTQ, and international students who have to spend their graduation listening to the spineless enabler of a vile man who wants to take their rights away.

• ND2014

Commencement should be about the students, and avoid all this political vitriol and controversy. Must we keep inviting compromised politicians to speak at commencement? Half of the audience is always going to be uncomfortable.