-

-

Notre Dame student groups react to University’s announcement of Mike Pence as Commencement speaker

| Friday, March 3, 2017

Mike Pence speaks in Purcell Pavilion at a 2015 memorial service for Fr. Theodore Hesburgh, who served as the University's 15th president. Pence will address students at this year's May 21st commencement.Michael Yu | The Observer

Mike Pence speaks in Purcell Pavilion at a 2015 memorial service for Fr. Theodore Hesburgh, who served as the University’s 15th president. Pence will address students at this year’s May 21st commencement.

The University’s announcement of Vice President Mike Pence as the 2017 Commencement speaker Thursday incited a variety of reactions from the student body, particularly from members of the class of 2017.

The Senior Class Council released a statement to The Observer encouraging students to remain focused on the purpose of the Commencement ceremony.

“This weekend is ultimately a celebration of our accomplishments, and we are proud to be a part of this class,” the statement said. “We hope that in spite of the diverse political beliefs among our class, our graduation weekend will be an opportunity to spend quality time with our friends and family as we say goodbye to the place that we have grown to love.”

The executive board of Diversity Council, a student group promoting “awareness, understanding and acceptance of all differences that make up the Notre Dame community,” released a statement expressing the group’s dissatisfaction with the University’s decision.

“Our working definition of diversity spans, but is not limited to race, gender, ethnicity/culture, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status and spirituality,” it said. “In the spirit of our mission, we are disappointed and angered by the University’s announcement of Vice President Mike Pence as the 172nd Commencement speaker.”

The Diversity Council’s statement called into question University President Fr. John Jenkins’s statement announcing Pence as the speaker.

“In his statement, Fr. John Jenkins commended Vice President Pence for his ‘moral conviction’ and ‘dedication to the common good’ throughout his career as a public official,” the council’s statement said. “In response, we ask: Who is excluded from this vision of the common good? According to the vice president’s actions, many.”

The statement denounced the administration’s decision to invite Pence, citing his rhetoric regarding the Muslim community, his stances against Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) refugees and legislation he introduced and supported that allowed discrimination of the LGBT community.

“As the Diversity Council Executive Board, we wholeheartedly include these members of society, and of the Notre Dame family, in our vision of the common good,” it said. “In light of this invitation and endorsement of Vice President Pence as a representative of Notre Dame through the conferral of an honorary degree, we question whether the University’s administration can say the same.”

Other students, however, take a more positive view of Pence’s history in politics. The Notre Dame College Republicans — who met with Pence as a group last spring — released a statement in support of Pence as the commencement speaker shortly after the University’s announcement.

“The Notre Dame College Republicans are very proud to have Notre Dame host Vice President Mike Pence as this year’s commencement speaker,” the statement said. “Vice President Pence has a proven track record of conservative principles and has staunchly defended Christian values during his time in public office. We were honored to host him on campus during his time as governor of Indiana, and now we are excited for him to return as the vice president of the United States to deliver the keynote speech at this year’s commencement ceremony.”

Senior Pat Crane, president of the College Republicans, said in an email that although he is disappointed the administration has not upheld the “tradition of bringing the president to speak” at commencement, he looks forward to Pence serving as the commencement speaker instead.

“I am personally pleased to welcome Vice President Pence to campus as President Trump’s right hand man,” he said. “ … I am proud to hear his speech in May, which will continue the drive of the Trump administration to further unite this country and make America great again.”

The perceived tradition of inviting the president of the United States to speak at Notre Dame’s Commencement ceremony during his first year in office is a common misconception among members of the Notre Dame community. While six presidents have spoken at Notre Dame, only four have spoken at the Commencement ceremony during their first year in office: Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George W. Bush and Barack Obama.

The Notre Dame College Democrats also released a statement Thursday in response to the University’s announcement, which cites the intended purpose of the Commencement ceremony as a primary cause of the group’s stance against the decision.

“Commencement weekend is a time to honor our graduates and their families after four years of hard work and commitment,” the statement said. “As we send the class of 2017 into the world, we are given one last opportunity to celebrate their time and achievements here at the University of Notre Dame. We are profoundly disappointed that University President Fr. John Jenkins has chosen Vice President Mike Pence as Notre Dame’s 172nd Commencement speaker.”

The statement additionally challenged Jenkins’s assertion that Pence served with “quiet earnestness, moral conviction and a dedication to the common good characteristic of true statesmen” during his time as Indiana governor, pointing to Pence’s discrimination against the LGBT community in Indiana, as well as his stances on the Syrian refugee crisis and women’s rights as contradictions.

“The new Administration has shown a basic disregard for the fundamental rights of so many communities,” it said. “We are saddened that Fr. Jenkins would invite Vice President Pence to serve as an ambassador of that Administration, as he receives an honorary degree on a stage shared by members of the very communities he marginalizes.”

Tags: , , , , ,

About Courtney Becker

Courtney is a junior from New York City majoring in film, television and theater with a minor in journalism, and currently serving as News Editor. She is a proud resident of Pasquerilla West Hall and a die-hard Pittsburgh Steelers fan.

Contact Courtney
  • John H. Gleason

Notre Dame administrators should stop chasing after worldly prestige. Honoring Barack Obama, for example, was a huge mistake, given his hostility toward Catholic beliefs and institutions. When choosing graduation speakers, the administration should focus on non-politicians who have stood up for religious principles.

• palsgraf

No.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Since when was Obama hostile towards Catholic beliefs? I don’t recall Obama signing an executive order banning people from countries with a Catholic majority…

• pappy51

True. But he did ban people from a country with a muslim majority.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Is that an alternative fact?

• pappy51

No.

• http://www.deannaw.wordpress.com/ Deanna Wallace

He tried to fine Catholic Nuns millions of dollars and took them to court to force them to pay for drugs that violate their religious beliefs… that’s pretty hostile!

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Wars violate my religious beliefs. Can I refuse to pay federal taxes because I don’t want my money to fund wars?

• Marie

Yes go to court like the nuns had to. Obumma had the idiots at georgetown univ. Cover the Cross before he would speak ther. Obumma the dumb, troublemaker MUSLIM.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Obama is a protestant, idiot.

• Marie

Actually obumma is a non believer but sides with the muslims because he was raised by his black muslim dad in africa.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Obama was born in Hawaii and raised by his mother, idiot. Stop with the alternative facts and get a life.

• Marie

No, alternative facts come from the LEFT. I do have a bridge I want to sell you though.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Is anyone who disagrees with you “the left”?

• Marie

Only the dumb people. Libtards.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Did you get triggered?

• Marie

No, i got sick to my stomach thinking how dumb you libtarda are.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Are you brain damaged?

• Marie

No, for the first time, ever since the campaign and the big WIN, i see clearer then ever. Both parties screwed us royally. Trump exposed all their incompetence, thievery. And agendas. This is why the politicians are all running around with their heads on fire. You dummy.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Big win? Do you live in an alternative reality? Trump is the most unpopular president ever. Are you really that dumb?

• Marie

Maybe not to libtard like you who do everything to hurt our President. All sore heads. Get over it. We witnessed a miracle and you are too dumb , ugly and mean to know it. lol

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Can you say any words other than “libtard”? Are you aged 5?

• Marie

No. I even made pillows for my friends with the saying “Sit On a Libtard”. They loved them.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Not even Trump, whose standards are pretty low, is interested in you.

• Marie

Trump loves me. he even sent me an invitation to the Inauguration. I even got a birthday card from him. Love that man of mine.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

You support Drumpf. If someone’s dumb, that’s you.

• Marie

LOL. You do not deserve such a strong, smart, handsome, successful President. You deserved the socialiat, muslim OBUMMA. Enough said.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Are you on drugs? Obama was all those things you mentioned. And he has a bigger one, which triggers Trump supporters a lot.

• Marie

Yes, obumma was the one on drugs and now his daughter is followi ng his example. Obumma ,our first muslim, half black , socialist president.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Are you Trump’s cuck?

• Marie

I will be anything Trump wants me to be.

• Marie

How about the Nuns????? How about him requesting the Church to cover the Cross when he spoke at the University??????????????????????????????

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Are those alternative facts?

• Marie

What the heck are you talking about. They are FACTS. Period. Check out Georgetown univ. Idiot.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Cuck.

• Marie

Ignorant.

• Marie

Notre Dame is an embarrassment to the Catholic Religion. If I am not mistaken, Notre Dame was involved in covering the Cross when Obumma spoke. The devil works in all places. How about Obumma and the Sisters . Actually took them to court. What a disgrace Notre Dame is.