Irish continue win streak in matches against Boston College, Syracuse

Over the weekend, Notre Dame managed to capture a pair of ACC wins, first 4-3 over Boston College and then 5-2 over over Syracuse.

The Irish had a slow start against Boston College, losing the doubles point with 6-4 losses in both the No. 1 and No. 2 spots. In singles, freshman Zoe Spence notched her first loss of the season at No. 4 in a 7-5, 6-2 decision, but senior Monica Robinson was able to pick her up at the No. 1 position with a 6-2, 6-2 win. 

Irish freshman Zoe Spence follows through on a shot during Notre Dame’s 5-2 win over Purdue on Feb. 22 at Eck Tennis Pavilion.

“Monica Robinson has played with confidence and poise at No. 1 singles,” head coach Jay Louderback said.

Sophomore Rachel Chong then followed up Robinson’s win with a victory at No. 6, but a 7-5, 1-6, 6-3 loss from junior Brooke Broda at No. 2 put the match in the hands of senior Mary Closs. Closs managed to secure the Irish’s seventh straight victory in a 7-6(5), 6-7(3), 6-4 match.

“Mary Closs has made a big jump in her ability to compete in pressure situations,” Louderback said.

The Irish found similar success against Syracuse, remaining undefeated in the ACC by beating the Orange in a 5-2 victory. Notre Dame started out strong by securing the doubles point.

“We were determined to win the doubles point which allowed us to play loose in the singles,” Louderback said.

Winning matches on courts 2 and 3, the Irish were able to get a good lead in doubles despite a loss at No. 1. The pair of Spence and senior Jane Fennelly finally clinched the point for the Irish at the No. 3 position in a 6-3 decision.

In singles, the Orange had momentum early, with Irish junior Allison Miller falling in a 6-1, 6-2 decision at the No. 3 spot. The Irish managed to push back, however, and won the next three matches in straight sets before Spence captured the victory at the No. 4 position winning 6-4, 6-2. 

Looking forward, the Irish will seek to continue their so-far-successful 11-1 season, with Spence leading the team in dual wins and Closs still undefeated at 8-0.

The Irish will fight to keep their win streak alive Monday against Richmond.