-

-

AnTostal celebrates 50 years with a decades themed week

| Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Before finals week every spring, Student Union Board (SUB) has attempted to alleviate some of students’ stress by coaxing them outside with a week of events and activities titled AnTostal.

AnTostal — Irish for “the festival” — boasts various signature dorm events, decade-themed activities and free giveaways all culminating in a Decade Dance on Bond Quad on Friday night. In honor of its 50th anniversary this year, AnTostal made its theme for the week #TBTostal to celebrate its history, junior director of AnTostal programming Aline Irihamye said.

“It’s a nod to our Irish heritage,” Irihamye said. “We just kind of imagine it as Notre Dame’s spring festival.”

Students eat Rise'n Roll Bakery doughnuts outside of DeBartolo Hall on Monday as part of the week-long AnTostal celebration. Photo courtesy of Fiona Williams

Students eat Rise’n Roll Bakery doughnuts outside of DeBartolo Hall on Monday as part of the week-long AnTostal celebration.

Aside from the events SUB has planned, Irihamye said, this year’s AnTostal is even more jam-packed with iconic dorm events such as Keenan’s Muddy Sunday and Fisher Regatta. One typical AnTostal staple that will be missing this year, however, is the spring concert at the end of the week.

“In a sense, no one’s more upset than the concerts committee that there isn’t a concert,” Irihamye said. “But so far, the outpouring has been positive. The idea is that more people will be excited about what we do have planned this year as opposed to the lineup of artists that we ended up with.”

This year, AnTostal offers giveaways for students such as gift cards to various restaurants on Eddy Street, an iPad, travel vouchers through Anthony Travel and Lollapalooza tickets, Irihamye said.

Sophomore and lead programmer Fiona Williams said they tried to incorporate a little bit of the throwback theme in the events. Some examples are the tie-dying event and Decade Dance, she said, and the shirts this year also have more of a retro design and are based off of an Ireland stamp.

As for the planning process, SUB has been working on the logistics since September, Williams said. She said the theme was decided right before Christmas break, but the final details were not solidified until last week. The planning committee, consisting of about 20 people, did plenty of research on the theme in order to perfect the events, she said.

“We went to library archives and [dug] through all of the AnTostal and SUB things that we have on file,” Williams said.

According to Williams, there will be free food offered throughout the week, supplied by many of the community’s favorite vendors such as Rise’n Roll, Krispy Kreme and Flamingo’s tacos. Williams said she encourages students to participate in the various AnTostal events, as everything is free and they are a great way to come together before final exams.

“I think it is one of the best traditions at Notre Dame,” she said. “It’s a great way for students to get outside and enjoy their time together before the end of the school year.”

About Selena Ponio

Selena Ponio is from Dallas, Texas and is currently a senior at the University of Notre Dame. She is the Associate News Editor for The Observer. Selena lives in Breen-Phillips hall and is majoring in International Economics with a concentration in Spanish and is minoring in Journalism, Ethics & Democracy.

Contact Selena