-

-

College names co-valedictorians

| Friday, April 14, 2017

Elise deSomer, a studio art and English literature double major from South Bend, and Brianna Kozemzak, a computing and applied mathematics major from Eagan, Minnesota, have been named co-valedictorians of Saint Mary’s class of 2017, according to a College press release.
The two will deliver a joint address at this year’s Commencement on May 20. According to the release, deSomer studied object-oriented ontology with professor of art Krista Hoefle, and her work was featured in the summer 2016 edition of Courier, a College publication. She will also earn an English writing minor.
Kozemzak, a chemistry minor, plans to pursue a Ph.D. in bioinformatics with the help of the National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, which provides three years of tuition for promising science and engineering students. Kozemzak is the second Saint Mary’s student to receive this fellowship, according to the release.
Kozemzak’s senior comprehensive project analyzed DNA sequencing data to identify new approaches to understanding genetic factors that increase susceptibility to diseases such as cancer, according to the release.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report