-

-

Fight for breakfast cereal rights

| Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Anyone with a deep appreciation for breakfast cereals like me remembers one of the greatest gifts to God’s green Earth that Post Cereals has ever produced. That’s right; I’m talking about Oreo O’s cereal. Ever since I tried this product back in the early 2000s, it remains the most delicious breakfast item that I have ever experienced. Whoever first created that item should have been given the highest honors Post bestows on such genius. Quite frankly, I am still baffled to this day as to why it was ever taken off the market.

General Mills has recently revived their French Toast Crunch product, and people were overjoyed. Just imagine the public celebration that would ensue when Post announces that they are bringing back the delicious cookie cereal. The last known country in which Oreo O’s was available is South Korea, but unfortunately, even there it no longer exists. I know because I had one of my friends search the country when he returned home to South Korea over winter break last year, but to no avail. Even the internet has failed me. I looked on eBay, and someone is selling the literal box of Oreo O’s cereal. There’s not even cereal in it. It’s just the cardboard box. And it’s listed at $55! If someone could sell a lone box for that large sum, just think of the profits if there were actually cereal in it.

This cereal is reminiscent of everything that was pure and wonderful in my childhood. As I enter into the dark, mysterious underworld that is adulthood, I would be eternally grateful if I had something to remind me of the glory days, back when my Saturday mornings entailed watching Nickelodeon cartoons and running around in my Scooby Doo pajamas until noon. These days, I don’t have much time to relive my most cherished memories but enjoying a bowl of Oreo O’s in the morning could certainly help.

There is really no logical reason not to start reproducing Oreo O’s. If Post would begin making Oreo O’s again, I would vow never to buy from any other inferior cereal company (like Kellogg’s or General Mills) ever again. I don’t think that I am exaggerating in the slightest when I say that Oreo O’s cereal should be served in some of the finest restaurants in the world. It is the pinnacle of culinary achievement. I encourage my fellow cereal-loving brothers and sisters to join me and start a movement to reinstate the most superior breakfast food that has ever existed.

Michael Walsh 

sophomore

April 25

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email viewpoint@ndsmcobserver.com

• TZR

After a discussion at work about the grandeur of Oreo O’s, I decided (as I occasionally do) to see if there was any news about resurrecting this amazing breakfast cereal. In so doing, I came across this article.

Some 10 or so years ago, I reached out to Post in an effort to understand why this product was discontinued. Surprisingly, I actually received a response (though I just am not sure what I did with it).

I was told that Post had a licensing contract with Nabisco that expired and was never renewed. And that’s pretty much it. Why it wasn’t renewed is absolutely baffling to me.

So yes, Michael Walsh, let us band together and demand the return of the King of Breakfast Cereals.