Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Matt Ryan announces transfer to Vanderbilt

Former forward Matt Ryan announced via Twitter on Wednesday night that he will transfer to Vanderbilt for the remainder of his collegiate career.

After averaging 14.5 minutes and 5.1 points in 36 games and four starts as a freshman in the 2015-16 season, Ryan’s role shrunk this past season, as the former New York high school state champion averaged 7.9 minutes and 3.6 points with no starts in 2017.

Ryan struggled to break into Notre Dame’s smaller lineup in the second half of the season, in which Irish head coach Mike Brey used the “big four” of junior guard Matt Farrell, senior guard Steve Vasturia, senior forward V.J. Beachem and junior forward Bonzie Colson, with one rotating spot.

Notre Dame forward Matt Ryan plays defense during the team's 83-71 loss to West Virginia at KeyBank Center on March 18.

Although the departure of Beachem and Vasturia after this season meant that Ryan was a likely candidate for minutes next season, the arrival of four-star small forward D.J. Harvey from DeMatha High School in Maryland, where Brey formerly coached, and the emergence of sophomore guard Rex Pflueger leave an unclear path to playing time.

Vanderbilt was the first school that Ryan visited after being granted his official release from the University on March 28, and Ryan chose the Commodores over California, Georgetown and George Washington. Ryan will play under second-year Vanderbilt coach Bryce Drew, who in his first season last year with the Commodores led the team to a 19-16 record and an NCAA tournament berth, although the team lost in the first round to Northwestern.

Ryan will have to sit out next season per NCAA rules before being able to utilize his two years of remaining eligibility.