Irish set to play in Redhawk Invitational at Chambers Bay

After a brief rest coming off a trip to the Georgia Southern Schenkel Invitational, the Irish head west to compete in the Redhawk Invitational, which is hosted by Seattle.

This year marks the first time the Irish will compete in the event. The field boasts four teams who are ranked in the top 60 teams in the country: Northwestern, Iowa State, BYU and TCU. The field is rounded out by Alabama State, Arkansas-Little Rock, Campbell, DePaul, Grand Canyon, Loyola Marymount, Ohio, Princeton, Sacred Heart, Seattle, Stetson and Louisiana-Monroe. Ohio is coming off a fifth place finish at the Mission Inn Spring Spectacular, where TCU took first place, and Iowa State placed sixth in the Arizona State Thunderbird Invitational two weeks ago.

Irish senior Blake Barens follows through on his tee shot during the Notre Dame Kickoff Challenge on Sept. 3 at Warren Golf Course.

The Redhawk Invitational is set to be held at Chambers Bay Golf Course in University Place, Washington. The course presents a distinctive test for the Irish, as its unique layout and links style has proved an obstacle for those who have crossed its path, such as the professionals on the PGA Tour — many of whom have criticized its layout. Chambers Bay was the site of the 2015 U.S. Open, which Jordan Spieth won with his score of 5-under par. The course can play anywhere from 5,100 to 7,500 yards with fast greens and fairways surrounded by fescue. Furthermore, the course sits right on the water, offering another hazard for competitors, especially with winds blowing shots out of play and without trees to knock those errant shots down. In fact, the course famously has only one tree, referred to as the “Lone Fir.”

Irish sophomore Kevin Conners will make his debut at the event. The Irish squad will be rounded out by sophomores Ben Albin and Miguel Delgado, freshman Davis Lamb and senior Blake Barens.

The Irish will tee off in the Redhawk Invitational at Chambers Bay Golf Course on Monday.