-

-

New SUB spring plans

| Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Hey ND,

It’s SUB. Now that it is close to the end of April, we are sure you are all wondering what the big SUB show is going to be. This year, we have decided to mix things up. Our goal in the Student Union Board is to bring you all, the students of ND, the entertainment that you value and enjoy. We try every year to bring you a performer that you will be super excited about coming out to see. Unfortunately, this year, after a long period of searching and negotiating, the artists that were available and within budget did not meet our goals. After much deliberation, we truly believed that the student body would not be excited about any of the performer options, and we did not want to give you something you did not want.

So this year, we are making a change. There will not be a spring concert this year. We recognize that this may be upsetting, but we truly believe this choice was in the best interest of the student body. What we are offering you instead is an event that we think you will all value much more and that we are extremely excited about.

This year, we are instead presenting the first ever SUB Concert’s Giveaway Party!

Take part in Concert’s Giveaway for the opportunity to win big. Over the course of AnTostal week (April 23-April 30), we will be distributing a series of incredible giveaways. Here are just a few of the prizes you could win: round-trip plane tickets to almost any city in the Continental U.S., four-day Lollapalooza passes, StubHub gift certificates and new tech gear (Amazon Echoes, iPads, Bose speakers).

In fact, the first 1,000 students who sign up for the drawing for Concert’s Giveaway will automatically win a gift card to one of everyone’s favorite Eddy Street locations. Over 1,200 of you will win some type of prize over the course of the week. So how do you sign up, you ask? Just head to an AnTostal event next week and fill out a quick survey at any of the SUB tables. You won’t want to miss these events anyway — we’re talking petting zoos, slow bicycle races, decades dances and more. And there will of course be many opportunities for free food and tanks.

The week of giveaway sign ups will culminate in an event Thursday, April 27, from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. on North Quad’s Fieldhouse Mall. At the Concert’s Giveaway event, come hang with one of ND’s best student DJs and eat from some of South Bend’s best food trucks. At the end of the event, the big prize winners will be announced.

We understand the Spring Concert is something many of you have enjoyed in past years. We hope you understand our reasoning for changing direction this semester and are already getting excited for a concert next year even bigger than Sammy Adams and Hoodie Allen. We look forward to seeing you at the AnTostal events and hope you all enjoy the biggest set of giveaways in SUB’s history.

Signing off,

Student Union Board

April 18

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email viewpoint@ndsmcobserver.com

• jen

was definitely looking forward to a concert, not some giveaway i won’t win

• Matt

Wouldn’t it just be better to save the money that you’ll spend on getting gifts for ~20 students and get a fall concert with an actual big name artist? I understand we don’t have the budget that big state schools have to get big name artists