Isaac Rochell selected No. 225 overall by Los Angeles Chargers in 2017 NFL Draft

Former Irish defensive lineman Isaac Rochell was selected in the seventh round with the 225th overall pick of the 2017 NFL Draft by the Los Angeles Chargers.

Irish senior lineman Isaac Rochell tackles the Navy quarterback during Notre Dame’s 28-27 loss to the Midshipmen on Nov. 5.

Rochell arrived at Notre Dame in 2013 as a four-star prospect, appearing in 11 games and making 10 tackles in his freshman season. As a sophomore, Rochell was one of three defensive players to appear in all 13 games for the Irish, recording 2 1/2 sacks and 7 1/2 tackles for loss. He recorded two tackles for loss, two bass breakups, a sack and nine tackles as the Irish lost to Northwestern and added another sack against Louisville and a blocked field goal in the Music City Bowl against LSU that season.

Rochell made 63 tackles in 2015 as a junior, which was the most for a Notre Dame defensive lineman since 2007, and again recorded 7 1/2 tackles for loss. He recorded his only sack of the season in the 41-31 win over USC.

Rochell was named an Irish captain for the 2016 season. He started the season with nine tackles and a career-high 2 1/2 tackles for loss against Texas and recorded a pass breakup and his only sack of the season when the Irish defeated Miami.

Rochell’s rookie season will also be the first for the Chargers in Los Angeles since their inaugural season in 1960 as well as the first season in charge for new head coach Anthony Lynn. Defensive coordinator Gus Bradley will also be new for the Chargers and is expected to play a 4-3 base defense, where Rochell will likely be featured as a defensive tackle, which contrasts to his time at defensive end for the Irish. He will join a defensive line unit led by 2016 Defensive Rookie of the Year Joey Bosa.