-

-

Student Senate swears in 2017-2018 senators, student government officers

| Thursday, April 6, 2017

In the first official meeting of the 2017-2018 Notre Dame Student Senate, newly elected senators were inducted and undertook the task of approving the nominations of various other student government officers.

New student body president, junior Becca Blais, and vice president, junior Sibonay Shewit, initiated the meeting by taking Oaths of Office. The incoming senators from all 31 dormitories stood and took a similar oath officially swearing them into office.

The majority of the meeting was spent making approvals of officers nominated by the Executive Board. Among the initial nominations were sophomore Prathm Juneja for student body chief-of-staff, freshman Molly McGraw for student body secretary and sophomore Alex Kruszewski as executive controller.

“I fully endorse Prathm, Molly and Alex for these positions,” Blais said.

The next group to be approved included sophomore Trever Carter and freshman Molly Walsh as co-directors of FUEL, a freshman student leadership program. Freshman John Henry Hobgood, who was approved as the director of academic affairs, hopes to “make the Moreau program better where it is lacking.” Additionally, sophomore Sean McMahon was initiated as director of campus technology as was junior Jonah Shainberg as the director of athletics.

Later, junior Kelly Beatty was approved as director of University policy.

“[Beatty] has an incredible vision,” Blais said. “He’s really caring for his friends, family and everyone in this community.”

Beatty’s plan is to improve the university’s compliance with Title IX policies regarding sexual assault and “re-evaluate the school’s policies towards drugs and alcohol.”

Sophomore Keenan White was approved as the director of faith and service and junior Adam Moeller was recognized by Blais for his “incredible devotion to others” as he was inducted as the director of community outreach.

The final two officers approved were junior Joey Murphy and sophomore Andie Tong as co-directors of communications.

Kaleem Minor, a freshman, was approved by Senate as the diversity and inclusion director. Sophomores Caitlin Murphy and Timothy O’Connell were approved as co-directors of student life.

O’Connell outlined his goals for dining hall improvements.

“[We should be] implementing pre-made salads in North, wipes on Wing Night, coffee roast improvement,” O’Connell said.

Murphy discussed her vision for improvements regarding campus life.

“We have a lot more long-term goals as well, such as how the meal plan can be revamped,” Murphy said.“We have plans for improved dorm life as well as outreach to various clubs and groups on campus.”

Freshman Isabel Rooper was approved as director of gender relations, hoping to explore Title IX policies and sexual assault concerns. Sophomore Jade Martinez was named the incoming director of health and wellness. Junior Austin Matheny was approved as the director for social concerns. Lastly, sophomore Jim Kim and sophomore David Nunes were nominated and approved as assistant student treasurers.

In their first resolution of the year, SS171801, Senate voted to make a constitutional change limiting a Senator to serve in one student government department, rather than two. This amendment arose out of concern for senators having too many commitments.

“We want you to be fully invested in the department you are in,” Shewit said.

The Senate meeting closed with announcements from senators of events around campus, but not without celebratory remarks from Shewit to the new senators: “Congratulations on your first resolution.”

Tags: ,

About Lucy Lynch

Contact Lucy