-

-

Students launch whiteboard campaign in response to Commencement speaker

| Monday, April 10, 2017

For seniors Imanne Mondane and Jourdyhn Williams, the University’s selection of Mike Pence as this year’s Commencement speaker represents an endorsement of the values supported by President Donald Trump, which they said silences certain minority groups. To combat what they believe will be the adverse effects Pence will have on campus, Mondane and Williams launched the #notmycommencementspeaker campaign, which took place throughout the past week and consisted of students “holding a whiteboard in [their] hands with direct quotes from Pence that are racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic,” according to the campaign’s Facebook page.

“For me personally, [Pence] represents the larger Trump administration,” Mondane said. “ … his administration represents something, and for many people on our campus, it makes them feel unsafe to have someone who openly is offensive but also demeaning of their humanity and of their life and of their identity.”

Students participate in a campaign called #notmycommencementspeaker, which aims to demonstrate that Pence is unfit to address graduates.Courtesy of Imanne Mondane

Students participate in a campaign called #notmycommencementspeaker, which aims to demonstrate that Pence is unfit to address 2017 graduates.

This visual aspect of this campaign was key to its success, Williams said.

“It’s hard getting out there to get people to discussions that you want to be there,” she said. “A lot of times they don’t come until you show them ‘this is my face, this is how it’s affecting me,’ and so we wanted to make sure it was something that impacted everyone, and not just those who are interested in coming to these things.”

Mondane said she hopes this event allows students to speak up for their rights.

“What we want to do is give a voice to those who have been silenced,” Mondane said.“It’s not even a matter of feeling like they have been silenced — they have been silenced on our campus and in our country,” she said.

Williams said not only does Pence represent the policies of the Trump administration, but he takes direct actions that warrant protest.

“I know that during his time as governor of Indiana and also during his campaign trail, along with Trump, he has made offensive statements towards minority groups that affect me, like women and African-Americans,” she said. 

The selection of Pence as graduation speaker also violates the University’s Catholic mission, Williams said.

“I feel that is offensive to such a large population here at Notre Dame, and I also believe it goes against certain Catholic Social Teaching, which is something the University likes to broadcast that it stands behind, but it picks and chooses when it wants to stand behind them,” she said.

Mondane said she hopes the campaign challenges the dominant narrative that often exists at Notre Dame.

“I think that if you could come across to the people of our campus, the professors, the administrators, to [University President Fr. John] Jenkins, it would be amazing,” she said. “Maybe then he would … think and act in regards to the other people on our campus who are not white, conservative Catholics.”

Once all the photos have been collected, Mondane and Williams said they will assemble Facebook and Twitter pages to tell the stories of students who participated in the campaign. These pages will “hopefully” serve as the first step in fostering a greater dialogue about Pence’s invitation, Mondane said. 

“We’re going to have a follow-up discussion in the weeks to come,” Mondane said. “Everyone is welcome to the discussion, and we’re going to have an event and advertise, but we really want to get the voices there who may not agree with us and who may take issue with what we’re doing. We both have an equal platform, and we’re on an equal playing field where one narrative isn’t totally dominant of the other.”

About Lucas Masin-Moyer

Lucas Masin-Moyer is a Sophomore at Notre Dame majoring in Political Science and American Studies, with a minor in Journalism, Ethics, and Democracy. He serves as Associate News Editor, lives in Morrissey Manor and hails from Telford, Pennsylvania.

Contact Lucas
  • Walt Osgood

Once again..”that dreaded White Man”

• warmupthediesel

“I hate white people, so I chose to go to school in Northern Indiana”

• HolyHandGrenade

“unrepresentative, snarky attempt at paraphrasing”

• warmupthediesel

“Ignorant to the point made”

• HolyHandGrenade

Your point being that they shouldn’t complain because they knew what they were getting into when they decided to go to Notre Dame? No, I understand you, you’re just childishly criticizing the critics for voicing their opinions.

• A-Train

SJW/progressives/liberals/whatevermuhcallits have never been known for their self-awareness.

• Gator McClusky

or logic
            or reason
            or knowledge
            or wisdom
            or patience
            or restraint
            or compassion
            or tolerance
            or any other characteristic of a mature educated adult

• Kerryman

Ha ha. You are funny. Based on what you are writing in this thread you show none of the characteristics you list here. Practice what you preach, Salamander (you sure as heck ain’t no gator).

• Gator McClusky

ha you not funny… pathetic response – no refutation of anything I have written, no logic or evidence provided so you are easily discarded as another troll

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Cuck.

• Gator McClusky

snowflakes that cannot handle different opinions than their own belong in kindergarten not at Notre Dame or any other self respecting University.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Notre Dame is a university, not an echo chamber. If you don’t like it go to Russia.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Trump supporters live in echo chambers and want to censor dissenting opinions. They are the real snowflakes.

• matt10023

Picking Pence violates the school’s Catholic mission? Which one is that? To squelch debate, discussion, and alternate points of view?

Are we now back to the days of Galileo where the Catholic church threatened him with death for sharing his observations that the earth may not be at the center of the universe?

There are many points of view in this great nation. These students would rather that only their own are heard.

• A-Train

Maybe the school’s Catholic mission now is bringing in illegals, celebrating baby killing and pretending one’s pee-pee isn’t there or is?

• matt10023

Way to bring the discussion down into the gutter. This was about freedom of speech vs. censorship.

• A-Train

You’re welcome.

• Johnny B Goode

Using Freedom of Speech WITHOUT Proof of Truth is Worthless….these few students are ignorant to what that Amendment says and means….I very much doubt if they could pass a ‘high school’ government test nor could they define the actual true meaning of the Bill of Rights, the Declaration of Independence, or even the Preamble to the Constitution. They MIGHT be able to pass a 6th Grade American History test but even that is Doubtful. These Few Students have diminished the Authority, Dignity an Reputation of a once Great University and the Majority of Students have Silent. THEREFORE, THE MINATORY RULES.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Freedom of expression doesn’t mean that you are entitled to a platform a.k.a. safe space.

• Gator McClusky

and you decide that right
            how authoritarian arrogant and fascist of you to think you have the right to decide who deserves to be heard
            typical liberal d-bag

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Did you get triggered?

• Gator McClusky

No
            Is that the only word you know?

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

If abortion is murder, then masturbation is genocide.

• A-Train

Do you even simple biology bro? That’s just an idiotic comment.

Heck, much of the reason I don’t listen to much of what the self-proclaimed ‘pro-science’ crowd says is because of nonsense like that.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Did you get triggered?

• A-Train

lol, I guess so if that’s how you want to paint it. I consider it more of an observation, and the insult I gave was dumb, but so was the original comment.

• A Smith

Because #bringbackourgirls worked so well.

• A-Train

#banbossybruh

• I am BT

I suppose they might be seeing some #notmyemployee whiteboards in their futures.

• Gator McClusky

would you hire them??

• A-Train

Fer real? Lame. Y’all need to put on your big kid undies. Stop being good little fascists, grow up, listen to dissenting views and maybe, just maybe, learn something worthwhile.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Stop using words whose meaning you don’t know.

• rogblake

shocking i am raisnig money to replenish notre dame’s supply of coloring books and play do, i am sure all the snowflakes have used up the emergency supplies

• Biggiewood

And we care about their useless opinion…..HOW?

• Gator McClusky

simple
      they are embarrassing the University more than a Charlie Weis 3 win season, a 4 win Brian Kelly season and a crushing defeat in the National Championship game by Alabama combined
      Football is for fun.. the reputation of the University and its students are for real

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Do you like living in an echo chamber?

• Brain_Matters

If millennials would spend more time looking inside and less time condemning and criticizing and labeling people, they might actually become a productive generation. So far they are little more than white noise. Pun intended.

• Gator McClusky

if they looked inside they would see how incredibly empty their minds and souls are, the would also see that there is no personal courage as well

• Tripper

They’ll go down as the most worthless generation in history. I have some faith that the post-millennials will be worthy though.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

If I had a dollar for every time a baby boomer complained about millennials, I could buy a house in the house market they ruined.

• Gator McClusky

perhaps
        but that would be the only way you could buy a house
        I am sure that gender studies degree that you spent 200k getting must yield you a nice $8/hr job cleaning kennels at pet smart on the weekends

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

You don’t even know what I studied. What an idiot. How’s been Theology?

• Gator McClusky

Theology wasn’t my major but it is a important part of a well rounded education
            Something you obviously lack

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Is religious pseudoscience part of a well rounded education?

• Gator McClusky

Christianity is one of the basis of western civilization
            If you do not understand it and it’s philosophy then you cannot understand Western Civilization
            Hence why you are such a moron…

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Looks like I triggered you, snowflake. Otherwise you wouldn’t have used the word “moron”.

• Gator McClusky

Nope
            Just want to be accurate when I address you
            Couldn’t call you genius or brilliant because you are simply… a moron

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Still triggered? Do you need a safe space?

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

The most developed countries in the world (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Iceland) are the countries in which religion interferes less in people’s lives. Religious fundamentalism, whether Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu or Buddhist, needs to go way.

• Gator McClusky

It’s their choice not yours, fascist.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Are you that elementary school kid who answers to other people by calling them the same?

• Gator McClusky

Are you the pesky kid that just won’t go away

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

It’s called freedom of speech. If you don’t like it move to North Korea.

• Gator McClusky

No its call harassment

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Did you get triggered, snowflake?

• Gator McClusky

When the shoe fits, wear it

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Cuck.

• Gator McClusky

Yet sweden Denmark, Germany France…all allowed the most horrible regions fanatics (muslims) in to their countries and refuse to acknowledge their massive error
            Kinda refutes that these people are intelligent or not mentally ill

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

You don’t live in Europe, so STFU and don’t talk about things you don’t know. Europe won’t put fascists in power the same way idiots like you did. Europeans may vote for crooks but never for fascists.

• Gator McClusky

You don’t like in Europe so stfu yourself.
            Just because someone doesn’t live somewhere does not preclude them from having an opinion
            Otherwise we could only speak of our own municipalities- which is exceptionally limited
            Furthermore fascist I am feeling to write about ANYTHING I CHOOSE this is still a free country – if you don’t like it leave me alone and don’t read my posts.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

How do you know where I live, idiot? Free countries don’t arrest non-violent drug users while they let neonazi idiots like you walk around freely.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Are those alternative facts? You shouldn’t be watching Faux News all the time.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Are those alternative facts? Have you been watching Faux News?

• de_ploribus_unum

Mock heroics.

• JeffreyDClark

You mean the speaker has opinions you disagree with? Good luck in the real world, children.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Freedom of speech doesn’t include freedom from criticism, old man.

• RandR

“What we want to do is give a voice to those who have been silenced,” Mondane said. And yet, Mondane wants to silence his voice….face palm!!!

• Maxbnd78

Stories like this make me ashamed to tell people I’m an alumnus. GROW UP!!!! the real world is full of people who either disagree with, or don’t care about, your opinion.

• Gator McClusky

you are not the only one

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Freedom of expression doesn’t mean you’re free from criticism. Grow up.

• yossarian

You feel unsafe to be merely in the presence of someone with you disagree? Pathetic. This all is not going to go well for you.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Are you talking to Trump supporters?

• Charles Carroll

If you protesting students decided to go to Notre Dame, presumably you have agreed with our University’s Mission Statement, or at least have read it. If not you can find it here: https://www.nd.edu/about/mission-statement/
    So if I understand it you are afraid to listen to a Christian? It is certainly sad to see that ND is now turning out so many intolerant frightened wimps. C. Carroll ’72

• Gator McClusky

defies logic why they would have chosen a Catholic University to attend

• HolyHandGrenade

Maybe some of them are Catholic? Wild idea.

• Gator McClusky

very wild indeed
          Pence is more conservatively catholic than most Catholics I know and if they are terrified of his beliefs there is no way that they can in any definition call themselves Catholics

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

By implying that Catholics should be extremist idiots like you or Pence, you’re being prejudiced towards Catholics. Sad.

• Gator McClusky

Being that I am Catholic and have been all of my 50 years, as is my family and most of my friends
            I attended Catholic schools including Notre Dame. So I am very much aware of Catholic doctrine and theology.
            It is absolutely asinine to think that I am prejudiced against Catholics when I am one
            Are you Catholic
            Do you know the church’s stance on birth control, abortion and marriage?
            Obviously not

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

The Catholic Church isn’t representative of the Catholic people, idiot.

• Gator McClusky

you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about

• JDMedia

White man…. white hair… White Supremacist!!!! Good grief. Idiots.

• Gator McClusky

yet they attend a University that white people built based upon a Western European educational tradition going back to ancient Greece and Christianity.
      in fact here are some of the more oppressive institutions that plague these people to this very day
      modern medicine, roads, electricity, running water, modern agriculture books movies and
      automobiles, houses made of things other than mud and sticks, metals, plastics scientific inquiry democratic rule airplanes computers air conditioning Etc
      Almost everything around you from the pen in your hand to the Q tip in your ear was designed and made by Western European ” white ” society.. Instead of being thankful that they have the blessing to live in the most open, accepting and advanced society (as opposed to Haiti Somalia or Nigeria) all they do is claim victim status.

Want to see victims of oppression – go to a Islamic country, Iran or Saudi Arabia and claim to be a Christian or a Jew and see how long you last.

• When did Notre Dame fill up with mental 3 year olds?

But no, seriously, good luck to these two organizers with their coveted Anthropology degrees. I’m sure those degrees will be a great help in their future employment at Starbucks.

• Gator McClusky

hopefully with a 200k student loan debt

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

You’re a disgusting human being.

• Gator McClusky

life is an excellent educator perhaps the best
          it shows us the errors of our ways often in harsh ways
          it is for the benefit of them and society that they are forced to grow up

you on the other hand would keep them in perpetual adolescence with no understanding of consequences.

• Mr_D

My understanding is that Mike Pence was governor of Indiana for the last four years. If he is indeed that frightening an individual, I’m wondering why these students didn’t transfer to a place where a less malevolent figure was in charge of the levers of government.

• Susie

Did these two snowflakes get free tuition assistance? To all you ND alumni and current students, this is a must read:
    http://hesburgh.nd.edu/fr-teds-life/the-notre-dame-president/the-60s-and-student-activism/hesburgh-letter-the-new-york-times/

• Kerryman

The students should protest and should accept Pence’s presence. In fact, they should celebrate the very premise of his right to speak. Our system protects free speech and provides us the same same right to free speech. It is one of our cardinal tenets of our democracy. This is not Putin’s USA, but it is the USA that our Constitution has helped to form. Pence is a smarmy, phony, right wing, pro-life, mainstream pol who I wouldn’t vote for if he ran for sanitation commissioner, but his right to speak must be honored. Yes, even if we disagree with him. Those students who, nevertheless, want to curtail this right are making all of us look bad. All of us.

• Gator McClusky

agreed That all speakers should be allowed to speak,
      The University allowed Obama to speak despite his position on baby killing……oops “abortion” so the snowflakes should suck it up and allow Pence to speak as well and not ruin everyone else’s Ceremony

• alanjason .

This has nothing to do with Safe Space.
    This has everything to do with people trying to shut down free speech of those they don’t agree with. That’s fascism.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

• alanjason .

Such as?

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

“Safe space”: your house is a safe space. Do you prefer living in the streets?
          “Fascism”: a corporatist regime in which individual freedoms are abolished. While the US isn’t a strictly fascist regime yet, Trump is trying to get there as hard as he can.

• alanjason .

You’re taking the safe space meaning literally. I’m not talking about someone’s house. And you’re also cherry picking one part of the definition of Fascism. Look up the definition instead of stating what you think it is. Suppressing the opposition is a main trait of Fascism, and that’s what these students are trying to do.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

How was the opposition “suppressed”? Freedom of expression doesn’t exempt you from criticism and doesn’t entitle you to a platform a.k.a. safe space. Learn definitions.

• alanjason .

You still can’t define Fascism. Come back when you can.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

I’m sorry that you’re unable to read.

• alanjason .

And you still refuse to give the correct definition of Fascism. Keep trying.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

You could just use Wikipedia (unless you consider it too liberal for your tastes), but there it goes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism

• alanjason .

Not too liberal, just not always factual since anyone can make edits to it. Search an actual dictionary. Anyway, your definition doesn’t match wiki or any other dictionary. I can see you’ve been triggered.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

You really don’t know how to read. As it is common among Trump supporters.

• alanjason .

If you can’t handle opposing points of view, you shouldn’t’ be going to college. If you want safe space, go live in your parent’s basement.

• Gator McClusky

or in a playpen with a nice dry diaper

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Are you talking to Trump supporters?

• Bill Benson

“What we want to do is give a voice to those who have been silenced,” Mondane said.

Doesn’t sound to me like she or her whiners have been silenced. In fact, they’ve been given a megaphone, but she sure gives the impression she’d like to silence VP Pence or any other opposing point of view.

• Kerryman

Hilarious how the very people that would protest like crazy if they were forced to listen to the leader of Planned Parenthood now have religion and want there to be all of this free speech when the phony smarmeister excuser of the liar in chief is the scheduled speaker. Ya can’t have it both ways, deplorables.

• Gator McClusky

Planed parenthood or as i like to re fer to them “unplanned pregnancy planned abortion” is responsible for the unnecessary deaths of millions of unborn children.
      The catholic churches universal stance on abortion is that it is MURDER.
      Mike Pence on the other hand has never murdered anyone in his entire life and his belief system is closely aligned with church teachings. He has never advocated violence against any group including your darling LGBTQ community.
      So there is a massive distinction.
      Peaceful Christian conservative politician vs Murderous genocidal organization founded by Margaret Sanger to control nonwhite populations though infanticide.
      Most people who are pro life do not want to stop a pro abortion speaker from speaking – Obama spoke at Notre Dame and Georgetown with little problem, what pro life advocates want is to stop the needless termination of life.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

• Gator McClusky

and if you cannot distinguish between a fetus or embryo and a sperm cell than any time refuting you is a exercise in futility.
          some people are too stupid to save

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Did you get triggered? PS: God doesn’t exist.

• Gator McClusky

And you know that for certain or is that another of your arrogant assertions
            Your not even smart enough to know what you don’t know.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

*You’re

• Jason Ross

Good prep for the real world. Grow up.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

In the real word you will face criticism for being an awful politician. Grow up.

• GLC

ND students boo a man whose values emulate those espoused by the university. Let’s reflect for a second: only 3 days after Pres. Obama was sworn in, he nixed the Mexico City Policy, thereby allowing U.S. taxpayers’ dollars to fund abortions all around the world (the overwhelming majority of which are performed on non-caucasians). Then ND recognizes and rewards this heinous act by inviting Obama to be commencement speaker. ND students applaud. Remind me again who is violating Catholic orthodoxy? I can sum this up in three words: HATERS GONNA HATE.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Are those alternative facts?

• Gator McClusky

the lack of understanding by the millennial generation is astounding isn’t it?
      their parents completely abdicated their role in raising them, also a huge amount of kids were raised in a single parent (female) household with no positive male role models so they have adopted a feminist ideology fostered by a female dominated environment.
      Their only effective parent is female and nearly all of their teachers are female. So instead of learning to become men the male children become a highly feminized males and the females have no understanding of how to relate to men in a positive non sexual manner.
      you can thank liberalism and feminism for destroying the two parent family by encouraging women to divorce men and to have children outside of marriage by subsidizing it with government programs and favorable paternity laws

• Tripper

These stupid people are going to college in a state that voted for Trump by 20% points. maybe they should have thought of that…

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

States aren’t homogeneous, idiot. The same way there are areas in California and New York full of Trumpanzees, there are progressive places in Indiana, such as South Bend or Indianapolis. If you want a homogeneous state, you should move to Wyoming or West Virginia.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Snowflakes beat the nazis.

• Gator McClusky

There were no snowflakes back then – moron
      Snowflakes have never beat anything except themselves. .while hiding in their mommas basement.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Did you get triggered?

• Gator McClusky

I don’t get triggered
          That’s a term leftists invented
          Doesn’t happen to us where I come from

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Good joke. People like you get triggered by homosexual couples. People like you get triggered by people saying “Happy Holidays”. People like you get triggered because a football player didn’t stand up to the national anthem. People like you are the real snowflakes.

• Gator McClusky

no snowflakes back then
      no purple haired, tattooed dress wearing tramsexual (male) snowflakes hiding from conservative speech and running to their safe spaces to watch soothing videos of puppies while paying with crayons and playdoh

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Why don’t you move to Russia?

• Gator McClusky

Not my homeland
          Why don’t you move to Cuba
          Seems perfect for a brain dead socialist like yourself
          Lots of group-think and everyone is equal -equally poor that is .. and big brother provides all

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

LOL a Trumpanzee talking about facts and logic.

• Gator McClusky

Aren’t you on the wrong website troll?
      Go back to your socialist paradise – North Korea or perhaps Cuba
      In both places you can have your “facts and logic” that is as long as the authorities approve…

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Oh sorry, I didn’t want to invade your echo chamber a.k.a. safe space.

• Gator McClusky

If you have nothing intelligent to add then yes you need to go back to the moron website
          Don’t have time to listen to your stupidity
          BTW – you responded to me so if you don’t like what I responded back – tough sh

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Trump supporters using the word “intelligent”. Very funny.

• Gator McClusky

troll

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

You are paid by Breitbart. You have no moral ground to call someone a troll.

• Gator McClusky

Soros operative trolling breitbart.com
      Disregard

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

How much did Steve Bannon pay you, idiot?

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

LOL so many triggered Trumpanzees commenting.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

So do you want to censor students just because you disagree with them? Disgusting.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

LOL so many triggered Trump supporters commenting.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

LOL a Trump supporter talking about facts and logic.

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Why are terms such as “snowflake”, “deviant” or “illegals” allowed but not “Trumpanzees”? Biased much?

• Gator McClusky

nope
      terms need to be accurate, the first three are highly accurate and descriptive of what they represent. The fourth is not

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

That explains how biased you are. Shame on you. You are a disgusting human being.

• gavin werner

How are you children going to survive out in the big, bad, real world? This truly is the “Lost Generation”.