-

-

Track and Field

Notre Dame looks to continue its success in Arizona

| Friday, April 7, 2017

This weekend, the Irish will continue their outdoor spring season as they travel to the southwestern corner of the country.

Notre Dame will compete in the Sun Angel Track Classic hosted by Arizona State University in Tempe, Arizona. The competition will take place through April 7 and 8.

This weekend marks the 38th annual Sun Angel Classic. Some of the programs competing this weekend include Iowa State University, Kansas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, University of Arizona and as well as other prime contestants. The Texas A&M men are currently No. 2 in the NCAA while Texas Tech slots at No. 11 and Kansas sits at No. 16. On the women’s side, Texas A&M holds another top ten ranking, sitting at No. 9 in the NCAA.

Irish senior pole vaulter Nathan Richartz approaches a jump during the Blue and Gold Invitational on Dec. 2 at Loftus Sports Center. Richartz finished in eighth at the Texas Relays on Saturday.Chris Collins | The Observer

Irish senior pole vaulter Nathan Richartz approaches a jump during the Blue and Gold Invitational on Dec. 2 at Loftus Sports Center. Richartz finished in eighth at the Texas Relays on Saturday.

In addition to the Division 1 competition, Tempe, Arizona, will be crowded with professional athletes throughout the weekend. In total, over 4,500 athletes will be competing this weekend at Arizona State.

The Irish are coming off a hectic weekend in which portions of the squad competed in three different meets across the country. Sophomore Anna Rohrer provided a standout performance in the 10,000-meter race last weekend at the Stanford Invitational in Palo Alto, California. Rohrer completed her 10,000-meter debut with a time of 31:58, setting the fastest recorded time for any female in the world so far in 2017. Rohrer set a new Notre Dame record last weekend, but she will not compete in the race this weekend and expects to abstain from the 10,000-meter race until ACC competition in mid-May.

In addition to Rohrer, graduate student Molly Seidel competed in the 10,000-meter race, finishing with a time of 33:19.60 in her outdoor debut for the season. Sophomore Annie Heffernan ran the 5,000-meter race, finishing second in her heat with a time of 16:27.78

A number of top Irish field athletes will also be competing in the Sun Angel Classic.

Last week, senior pole vaulter Nathan Richartz logged an eighth-place finish in the Texas Relays with a height of 5.20 meters. He will be joined in the event this weekend by freshmen Landon Shank and Kassadee Ifft, who will be competing on the women’s side of the event. Meanwhile, in other field events, sophomore Daniel Hardiman will compete in the men’s shot put and senior Indi Jackson will compete for the women’s side.

Several sprinters will lace up their spikes this weekend in Arizona, including two relay teams. A young team consisting freshmen Naya Sharp, Summer Thorpe and Michaela Butler and sophomore Kyla Lewis will look for success in the 4×100-meter relay. Meanwhile, in the 4×400-meter relay, Thorpe will be joined by fellow freshman Grace Cronin. as well as juniors Jordan Shead and Payton Miller.

The competition begins Friday at 11 a.m. in Tempe, Arizona.