Irish collect personal records throughout trip to Arizona

Notre Dame found success out west this past weekend, as the Irish set numerous personal records throughout the two-day Sun Angel Classic at Arizona State’s Sun Angel Track.

The competition started Friday, where the Irish fielded athletes in only three events, but still made their presence known. Freshmen Logan Kusky and Shae Watkins competed in the open hammer throw and both set personal records, as Kusky improved his mark from 54.68 to 57.29 meters, while Watkins improved his record from 45.92 to 50.91 metes. In other action, senior Anthony Shivers recorded a 63.57 meter toss in the premiere hammer throw to earn fourth place, while on the women’s side, freshman Kassadee Ifft took fifth place in the pole vault with a height of 3.75 meters.

Most of the Irish athletes competed on Saturday, and continued to set personal records in all spheres of the event. Alexa Coubal highlighted the field events Saturday as she set a collegiate personal record in the discus, as her throw of 44.71 meters earned the Irish sophomore a sixth place finish. Senior Indi Jackson also joined in on Notre Dame’s success in the field events by throwing a season-best 15.96 meters in the women’s shot put premiere, finishing in fifth place overall.

The Irish shone on the track as well. On the women’s side, freshman Summer Thorpe placed fifth overall in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 13.86 seconds, while freshman Madysen Hunter recorded a collegiate personal record with a time of 14.81 seconds. In the 200-meter dash, junior Payton Miller led the Irish by running a 24.79, earning herself a personal record and a fourth-place finish. Right behind her, Hunter (25.26) and freshman Michaela Butler (25.40) finished sixth and tied for eighth, respectively. Miller also competed in the 400-meter and finished sixth, recording a time of 54.98 seconds. Junior Jordan Shead led the Irish in the 400-meter hurdles by placing fourth — crossing the finish line at 59.14 seconds.

On the men’s side, senior Jacob Dumford finished the 800-meter race just .03 seconds shy of matching his personal record, placing seventh with a time of 1:51.82. Junior Kevin Pulliam recorded a personal record in the 1,500-meter race, recording a fourth-place finish with a time of 3:56.14. Fellow junior Brent Kennedy also set a personal record in the 1,500m, running a time of 4:01.89.

Next up for Notre Dame is the ACC/Big 10 Challenge. The Irish will begin competition at noon on April 15 at Cardinal Park in Louisville, Kentucky.