The 2017 Fisher Regatta is coming

Spring is coming. Not winter. Pink flower buds adorn the trees in a soft, airy dance of lush vegetative intertwinement, the sun shines down from the glorious sky that is a shade of magnificent, bedazzling blue even Picasso would be proud of, and the rosy red tulips by the Dome can be seen on any number of Snapchat stories. The grass is green and the waters clear. In this time of rebirth, new life and young love, there is but one proper way to celebrate our community and life here on campus, with a tradition that stretches back to the origins of time itself: the 25th annual Fisher Regatta. Without a doubt the greatest of signature dorm events, (I don’t think the Keenan Revue was listed on ESPN’s top 100 college events) the Fisher Regatta is the proud manifestation of the Cadillac of Dorms’ brotherhood and fraternal care for all to join in as one university community. Come out to Saint Mary’s Lake this Saturday, April 29, for what promises to be the greatest celebration of love and life that this campus has ever seen. We invite all to join in the student-constructed boat races, for a grand prize of a $100 Chipotle gift card, in a regatta that will result in glorious mishap for some and everlasting glory for others. Not racing in a boat? We invite — nay, we beckon you — to join in the ridiculous fun of all-day music, free hamburgers and hot dogs, Frisbee, spikeball, dunk tanks and all water-related recreation. You’ll laugh. You’ll cry. It’ll be better than “Cats.” Better than “E.T.” You’ll witness antics you won’t forget along with some good clean healthy debauchery; a veritable festival of shenanigans, material worthy of the Notre Dame meme page. It’ll be a taste of Heaven here on earth. And even better, the whole event is a fundraiser for Saint Adalbert’s Catholic School, one of our local grade schools here in South Bend that serves mainly underprivileged students. In past years, we’ve raised upwards of $8,000 to help their school, and this year we are aiming for $10,000 to build a new school science lab. So come on down to lake, buy a Regatta tank (the greatest campus apparel since everyone’s “favorite,” 2016-17’s The Shirt), support the kids and enjoy a day of endless opportunities with your friends. After all, we are the men of Fisher Hall, the defending Men’s Hall of the Year. We hope to see you there! The regatta is coming, ladies and gentleman of Notre Dame — and ya gotta regatta.

John Paul Ferguson

freshman

April 25