Anders Bjork signs with Boston Bruins

Former Irish junior forward Anders Bjork signed a three-year, entry-level deal with the Boston Bruins on Tuesday.

Originally drafted in the fifth round of the 2014 NHL Draft, Bjork leaves Notre Dame after a season in which he led the team with 21 goals and 31 assists, earning All-American and first team Hockey East All-Star accolades.

Irish junior forward Anders Bjork looks to move the puck during Notre Dame’s 6-1 loss to Denver in the Frozen Four on April 6 at United Center. Bjork scored 109 points for the Irish during his career.
Observer File Photo

“This was a difficult decision because Notre Dame is such a special place,” Bjork said in a press release. “I am ready for the next step in my hockey career and am excited for the opportunity to join the Boston Bruins organization. It is also important to me, my family, and my Notre Dame coaches that I finish earning my degree from the University so I will continue to work towards that goal as well. I would like to thank Coach Jackson, Coach Pooley and Coach Slaggert for their dedication and all they have done to help my development. I would also like to thank my mom and dad and siblings for their countless sacrifices and their leadership in character.”

Bjork was the offensive leader for the Irish this past season. En route to the Frozen Four, Notre Dame went 22-5-2 when he registered at least a point, and Bjork scored six game-winning goals this year, a mark good for fourth best in the country.

In the NCAA Northeast regional, in which he was named Most Outstanding Player, Bjork scored two goals in a comeback win over top-seeded Minnesota and assisted on all three of Notre Dame’s goals in its win over UMass Lowell to earn the program’s third trip to the Frozen Four.

His career-best 52 points mark the first time an Irish player registered over 50 points in a season since the 2010-2011 season, and he is only the second player in collegiate history to be named a top-10 Hobey Baker finalist and Hockey Humanitarian Award finalist in the same season. He joined his father, Kirt, as the only Irish father-son duo to ever earn All-American honors.