Jim Kubinski will not return as head coach

Irish head coach Jim Kubinski will not be returning in the same capacity next season, Notre Dame announced May 17 in a press release. Kubinski had served as head coach of the men’s golf team for 13 seasons.

In the release, Notre Dame director of athletics Jack Swarbrick cited the reason as a lapse in the high quality of play expected from Notre Dame teams since the University joined the ACC in 2014.

In his 13 seasons at the helm of the Irish squad, Kubinski led his team to four Big East titles and two Big East runner-up finishes. The team qualified for the NCAA tournament four times under his leadership and two individuals also punched their tickets to the Regional during his tenure. Kubinski also led his team to 18 tournament titles, 63 top-five finishes and the top-10 single-season team stroke averages in program history, including a program-best this past year.

Kubinski was named Big East Coach of the Year in 2011 and 2012, after his team won the conference title and qualified for the NCAA championship.

The Irish finished in seventh place in the ACC championship in their first year in the conference, before finishing 11th in 2015 and 10th twice, in both 2016 and 2017.

In the release, Swarbrick said that, in order to replace Kubinski, a nationwide search would take place to fill the position.