-

-

SMC student contracts meningitis

| Wednesday, May 3, 2017

A Saint Mary’s student was diagnosed with meningococcal meningitis Wednesday morning, according to an email the Health and Counseling Center sent to the College community.

The student is receiving treatment, and no other cases have been reported. The College is collaborating with the St. Joseph County Health Department and the Indiana State Department of Health to decrease the risk of further infection. According to the email, a team of campus professionals is notifying individuals who may have had close contact with the infected student, whose identity will not be released for privacy reasons. Preventative antibiotics will be distributed to the identified students, according to the email.

Vice president for students affairs at Notre Dame Erin Hoffmann Harding alerted the Notre Dame community of the diagnosis in an email sent Wednesday evening. The email said the College has not determined any significant connection between the student and the Notre Dame campus, but both schools will continue to monitor the situation closely.

Two information sessions will be available for students, faculty and staff at 5:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. in Carroll Auditorium. Concerned individuals are encouraged to contact the Health and Counseling Center at 574-284-4805.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report