Sports Year in Review

Sports_year_review_WEB
Lauren Weldon | The Observer
Lauren Weldon and Kelly Vaughan | The Observer

Aug. 19: Senior safety Max Redfield and four other players arrested for possession of marijuana and a hand gun. Redfield would be dismissed from the team shortly thereafter.

Aug. 20: Senior cornerback Devin Butler arrested on charge of battery and later placed on indefinite suspension. He would not play a down for the Irish during the 2016 season.

Sept. 3: Men’s golf opens season with a first place finish at the Notre Dame Kickoff Challenge at Warren Golf Course.

Sept. 4: Football falls short 50-47 in double overtime at Texas in season opener.

Sept. 6: Men’s soccer claims No. 1 preseason ranking.

Sept. 23: Men’s soccer defeats No. 2 Syracuse 2-1 on a last-second goal by junior forward Jon Gallagher at Alumni Stadium, giving Irish head coach Bobby Clark his 200th win at Notre Dame.

Sept. 25: Brian VanGorder fired as defensive coordinator. Defensive analyst Greg Hudson assumes VanGorder's responsibilities.

Sept. 30: Sophomore cross country runner Anna Rohrer of the Irish cross country team crowned champion at Notre Dame Invitational.

Oct. 7: Notre Dame volleyball head coach Jim McLaughlin earns the 600th win of his collegiate coaching career.

Oct. 8: Football loses 10-3 at North Carolina State in the midst of Hurricane Matthew.

Oct. 9: Volleyball marks best start since 2005 and best ACC mark in program history (15-3, 6-0 ACC) after sweep of Boston College.

Oct. 27: Women’s soccer clinches first ACC title with 2-0 victory over Miami at Alumni Stadium.

Oct. 28: Rohrer wins first ACC championship, leads women’s team to second-place finish.

Nov. 2: Women’s basketball earns No. 1 ranking in preseason Associated Press poll, above No. 2 Baylor and No. 3 UConn.

Nov. 11: Women’s soccer upset by SIUE at home in first round of NCAA championship.

Nov. 12: Men’s basketball opens season with 89-64 win over Bryant.

Nov. 19: Rohrer finishes third at NCAA championships.

Notre Dame defeated by Virginia Tech 34-31 on Senior Day and falls out of bowl contention.

Nov. 25: Volleyball defeats Syracuse on Senior Day, giving Irish a program-high 13 ACC wins.

Nov. 27: Men’s soccer falls to No. 4 seed Louisville, 3-1, in the third round of the NCAA tournament.

Dec. 6: Men’s basketball stretches undefeated start to 9-0 — the best ever under head coach Mike Brey — with an 87-72 win over Fort Wayne.

Dec. 7: Notre Dame loses its first game of the season to UConn, 72-61, in a battle between the nation’s top two teams.

Dec. 10: Men’s hockey defeats No. 3 Boston College 3-2 at Compton in 42nd meeting of rivalry.

Dec. 12: Junior quarterback DeShone Kizer forgoes senior year at Notre Dame and declares for the 2017 NFL Draft.

Jan. 9: Notre Dame’s women earn highest-ever preseason ranking for indoor track and field in program history at No. 9 in the country.

Jan. 14: Men’s basketball defeats Virginia Tech, 76-71, to move to 5-0 in the ACC, the best ACC start in program history.

Jan. 30: Brian Kelly introduces seven new members to the football coaching staff: defensive coordinator Mike Elko, offensive coordinator Chip Long, strength and conditioning coach Matt Balis, special teams coordinator Brian Polian, quarterbacks coach Tom Rees, linebackers coach Clark Lea and wide receivers coach Del Alexander.

Feb. 5: Women’s lacrosse opens season with 15-14 loss to No. 9 Northwestern.

Feb. 18: Men’s lacrosse defeats Georgetown, 16-10, in Dallas to open season.

Feb. 24: Men’s fencing wins third straight ACC title.

Feb. 25: Junior Jessica Harris wins two gold medals as the Irish women finish fifth at the ACC indoor championships.

Women’s fencing three-peats as ACC champions as well, with sophomore Sabrina Massialas named MVP for second-straight season.

Feb. 26: Notre Dame women’s basketball defeats No. 8 Florida State, 79-61, in ACC regular season finale to clinch fourth-straight ACC regular season title.

March 1: Men’s basketball defeats Boston College, 82-66, on Senior Night at Purcell Pavilion, pushing Mike Brey’s squad to a six-game win streak and 12-5 in the ACC.

March 2: Men’s swimming finishes third at ACC championships with 923.5 points, the most by Notre Dame at the event in program history.

March 4: Men’s lacrosse knocks off top-ranked Maryland 5-4 at Arlotta Stadium.

March 5: Women’s basketball captures fourth-straight ACC tournament crown with 84-61 win over Duke, becoming the the second school to win four straight regular season and tournament titles in the ACC.

March 7: Women’s lacrosse ties program’s third-longest win streak with 16-13 win over Ohio State.

March 11: Sophomore Anna Rohrer leads Notre Dame at NCAA indoor championships with third-place finish in the 5,000-meter race.

Men’s basketball falls in ACC tournament final to Duke, 75-69, despite Bonzie Colson’s 29 points.

March 16: No. 5 seeded Notre Dame squeaks by Princeton in the first round of the NCAA tournament, 60-58.

March 17: Notre Dame women’s tennis upsets No. 23 Wake Forest to achieve 14-1 record, the program’s best start since 2009.

March 18: No. 19 women’s swimming concludes NCAAs with a record 10 athletes participating, led by All-American senior Catherine Mulquin, who set a school record in the 100-meter backstroke.

Men’s basketball falls to West Virginia, 83-71, in the second round of NCAA tournament.

March 19: Hockey makes the NCAA championship field for the second consecutive season and ninth time in program history. Irish earn No. 4 seed in Northeast regional.

Women’s basketball defeats Purdue, 88-82, in overtime in second round of NCAA tournament but lose All-American forward Brianna Turner to a season-ending knee injury.

March 20: Senior Lee Kiefer named No. 1 fencer in the world, the first American woman to ever achieve the feat.

March 25: Men’s swimming completes its best-ever finish at the NCAA championships, coming in 25th with a school-record 29 points. Senior Trent Jackson earned All-American honors with an eighth place finish in the 200-meter backstroke.

Hockey scores three unanswered goals to rally past top-seeded Minnesota, 3-2, in opening round of NCAA regional.

March 26: Hockey defeats UMass Lowell, 3-2, in overtime to reach the Frozen Four for the third time in program history.

Women’s basketball falls to Stanford for the second straight season in the NCAA tournament, losing 76-75 in the Elite Eight.

Notre Dame fencing captures program’s ninth national championship, the first since 2011. Senior Lee Kiefer wins her fourth-straight individual title in foil, only the third fencer to ever accomplish the feat. Junior Francesca Russo wins her first NCAA individual title in sabre.

March 27: Forward Brianna Turner and guard Lindsay Allen are named second and third team AP All-Americans, respectively.

March 29: Bonzie Colson named an Associated Press third team All-American after averaging 17.8 points and 10.1 rebounds over the season for the Irish.

April 1: Women’s basketball head coach Muffet McGraw named a member of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame class of 2017.

April 7: Hockey falls to No. 1 and top-seeded Denver, 6-1, in Frozen Four semifinal.

April 10: Junior forward Bonzie Colson announces he will return to Notre Dame in 2017-2018 for his final season of eligibility.

April 13: Lindsay Allen is selected 14th overall in the 2017 WNBA draft by the New York Liberty.

April 22: Men’s lacrosse defeats North Carolina, 14-13, on Senior Day in front of a capacity crowd at Arlotta Stadium.

Men’s golf finishes 10th out of 12 teams at the ACC tournament.

April 27: Fourth-seeded Notre Dame women’s lacrosse falls to No. 5 seed Boston College in the quarterfinals of the ACC tournament.

Men’s tennis falls in the second round of the ACC tournament to Louisville, 4-3.

April 28: DeShone Kizer selected No. 52 overall by the Cleveland Browns in second round of the NFL Draft.

April 30: Men’s lacrosse falls to North Carolina, 14-10, in the ACC championship game.

May10: Sophomore Emma Albrecht finished tied for 13th at the 2017 NCAA Columbus regional, the second-best finish by an Irish golfer in NCAA regional play.

May 12: Women’s lacrosse falls to Cornell, 12-7, in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Softball loses to No. 4 Florida State, 6-0, in the ACC tournament semifinals.

May 13: Senior Nathan Richartz wins ACC pole vault individual title.

Notre Dame baseball takes down Austin Peay, 7-2, on Senior Day thanks to six shutout innings by co-captain and graduate student Michael Hearne.

May 14: Men’s lacrosse defeats Marquette, 15-9, in the first round of the NCAA tournament behind five goals from sophomore attack Brendan Gleason.

Softball earns 19th straight bid to the NCAA tournament.

Notre Dame women’s rowing places third at the ACC championships. Freshman Emily Stinebaugh wins ACC Freshman of the Year.

Sophomore Anna Rohrer wins her second title at ACC championships in the 5,000-meter race.

Women’s tennis falls to No. 2 Ohio State in the second round of the NCAA tournament.