-

-

University chooses not to sign NCAA diversity in hiring pledge

| Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Notre Dame is one of two Division I Universities who has not signed the NCAA’s “Presidential Pledge” on diversity in hiring, The Washington Post reported Monday. Boston College is the other school yet to sign.

The pledge’s stated goal is, “establishing initiatives for achieving ethnic and racial diversity, gender equity and inclusion, with a focus and emphasis on hiring practices in intercollegiate athletics, to reflect the diversity of our membership and our nation.”

University spokesperson Paul Browne said in an email statement to The Washington Post that the University already practiced diverse hiring, and adopting the pledge was therefore not necessary.

“[University President Fr. John Jenkins] feels strongly that principals of such importance should be authored and pronounced by Notre Dame itself and applied University-wide, and not as the product of an association focused exclusively on collegiate athletics,” Browne said in the statement.

Browne said diversity at Notre Dame is not currently where the administration would like.

“The diversity of our current administrative team is not where we want it to be, and that’s being addressed soon,” Browne said in the statement. “ … Notre Dame is proud of helping advance the careers of some prominent African-American athletics administrators who are now serving at other universities.”

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report
  • John H. Gleason

Could the ND administration please focus on identifying, recruiting, and hiring devout Catholics for faculty positions?

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Do you want Notre Dame to be an echo chamber?

• Tom Z.

Would much rather have them recruit intellectuals focused on bettering the world and educating young minds, and there are very few people that fit in both categories.

• narob

This insanity of controlled hiring MUST END !!!!!!!!!!!!
    A leader hires who is BEST for the position NOT for the shape of their lips and nose !!!!!

• disqus_PBnOP0sXke

Right. They shouldn’t hire only heterosexual white men.

• killshot

Arbitrary quotas of any kind invariably backfire. Ideally, Notre Dame should be an exemplary meritocracy. When you hire and/or fire based on a quota basis, you might as well simply replace the University mission with a paragraph out of Animal Farm. Opportunities should always be made equally available without exception. Equality and opportunity is not the same as guaranteeing some type of equality in racial, gender, or some other type of category. As America has drifted away from being a true meritocracy to being some type of egalitarian utopia, anger and differences have grown far worse. The worst way to prepare a young individual for the marketplace of the world is to grant them special favors that will disappear when they get their diploma. The same meritocracy ideals apply to who should teach there.