-

-

University names valedictorian, salutatorian

| Wednesday, May 3, 2017

The University named valedictorian Caleb “C.J.” Pine and salutatorian José Alberto Suárez in a press release Wednesday.

Pine — an Arabic and peace studies major with a minor in philosophy, politics and economics (PPE) — is a member of the Glynn Family Honors program, the Phi Beta Kappa Honors Society and is a Hesburgh-Yusko Scholar at Notre Dame. He was also named a Truman Scholar and Gilman Scholar, currently holds a 3.92 cumulative grade point average (GPA) and is a four-year member of the Dean’s List.

While at Notre Dame, Pine helped found both the student advocacy group Solidarity with Syria and the nonprofit organization Road to Mafraq, which “seeks to increase access to education for children impacted by conflict in the Middle East, specifically supporting Syrian and Iraqi refugees living in Jordan,” according to the press release.

Suárez, another Hesburgh-Yusko Scholar and four-year member of the Dean’s List, is a computer science and engineering major with a 4.00 cumulative GPA. He was also a member of University honor societies Tau Beta Pi, Upsilon Pi Epsilon and Eta Kappa Nu. Suárez served as a resident assistant in Keenan Hall and as president of the Student International Business Council during his time at Notre Dame.

Pine will deliver the valedictory address during the Commencement ceremony on May 21 at Notre Dame Stadium.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report
  • buster01

How can someone with a 3.92 GPA be the valedictorian when the salutatorian has a 4.0 GPA?

• Gator McClusky

I’m sure the hard science and engineering student are pleased with this selection.
      Wonder how many physics, calculus or engineering courses this “Arabic peace and philosophy major took…

• killshot

Basically, the same way Al Franken got elected.

• observing…

It seems appropriate to choose an “Arabic and peace studies major with a minor in philosophy, politics and economics (PPE)” to speak before Pence at commencement. I’ll be curious to hear that speech.

• Gator McClusky

Yep strong market for that major in the business world

• Gator McClusky

Interesting as Islam has been at war with Western civilization for its entire existence. All of the lands now occupied by Islam were at one time non Muslim countries that were conquered and forcibly converted to Islam. Islam invaded Christian Europe multiple times getting as far as the gates of Vienna and the south of France. Christian Spain was forcibly occupied by Islam for 400 years.
    Peace to a Muslim means the absence of opposition to Islam. According to their holy book the world is divided into two parts – the land they control (of peace) and the part that everyone else is trespassing on (of war)
    Good health
    Luck on convincing Muslims to respect the culture and countries of people that aren’t Islamic. Hope it was worth the 200k you spent here

• killshot

So, you’re going to really tell us that somebody with a “Peace Studies” GPA of 3.92 exceeds a EE or Cheg with a higher grade point to be valedictorian? Notre Dame has become totally Pajama Boy University. They will NEVER win another national championship and anything much less football. On the continuum of Wimps versus Barbarians, they have exceeded the Wimps standard by a ZIP Code.