Three Irish athletes drafted on day two of 2017 MLB Draft

Notre Dame saw three players receive the opportunity to join the professional ranks of the game Tuesday, as Peter Solomon, Sean Guenther and Brad Bass were all selected on Day Two of the 2017 MLB Draft.

Solomon, a right-handed pitcher, was selected in the fourth round of the draft by the Houston Astros with the 121st overall pick. The junior threw 131 innings over his three seasons with the Irish, including 54 this past season while coming primarily out of the bullpen, and averaged more than a strikeout per inning with 151 over three seasons, all while maintaining a 3.85 ERA during his collegiate career.

Junior pitcher Peter Solomon delivers a pitch during Notre Dame’s 10-2 victory over Wake Forest on Sunday at Frank Eck Stadium.
Junior right-hander Peter Solomon delivers a pitch during Notre Dame’s 10-2 victory over Wake Forest on April 3, 2016, at Frank Eck Stadium.

Guenther, a left-handed pitcher, was picked in the seventh round by the Miami Marlins with the 209th overall pick. The junior pitched 182 1/3 innings over his three seasons, maintaining a 3.50 ERA. After starting 11 games last season, Guenther came in as a reliever in all 24 of his appearances this season, posting an ERA of 2.64 while striking out 69 batters in 58 innings.

Just six picks later, Bass joined Guenther and Solomon when the Detroit Tigers drafted the right-hander with the 215th overall pick. The junior started 14 games for the Irish this past season, going 3-7 with a 3.74 ERA in 84 1/3 innings pitched.

The three selections marked just the third time in program history that Notre Dame saw three players drafted in the first 10 rounds of the MLB Draft, including the second time it has happened under head coach Mik Aoki.