Wednesday, May 8, 2024

SMC Campus Ministry outlines goals for the year

Saint Mary’s Campus Ministry has already begun what hopes to be an eventful year for students. Having hosted a successful First Year retreat on Aug. 25 and 26, the team looks ahead to many more activities and opportunities for students to grow in faith and community.

“We have several main goals that we are going to be planning programs for,” Regina Wilson, director of Campus Ministry, said in an email.

As the College is to focus on the core value of justice this year, the group hopes to host events that allow for reflection on pursuing justice within local communities, Wilson said. These opportunities include discussions of the dignity of the human person and how this theological concept continues to be relevant.

Occasionally, students will be speaking at Mass to share how they live as stewards of their gifts. Encouraging students to devote time and resources to support God’s people and glory will remain a theme for Campus Ministry. Social media outreach will be used to achieve this goal, Wilson said, mentioning talks of this variety that have already taken place since the semester started as well as ones to come.

The “Season of Creation,” a time during which prayer and special care for creation are emphasized, started Sept. 1 and is currently being observed. Globally, Christians unite with this cause to show gratitude for the earth and take actions to treat it with respect, Wilson said.

“We kicked it off with a photo table where people could take photos of themselves and then make a pledge to do something more in their personal lives to show care for the earth and all creation,” she added.

Wilson said making conscious efforts to recycle, shortening showers and choosing public transportation over driving were among the pledges made by the 52 students who stopped by to participate.

The worldwide Season of Creation will conclude on Oct. 4, the feast day of St. Francis, patron of ecology and namesake of Pope Francis. The Pope has promoted the Season of Creation to acknowledge the importance of creation. A “Mass on the Grass” will be celebrated at 7 p.m. that evening.

“What better way to join our minds and hearts in praise of God who has given us so much beauty than by having Mass outside on our beautiful campus on the feast of St. Francis?” Wilson said.

In addition to these events, Wilson said there are many other opportunities that Campus Ministry offers. Campus Ministry and students in the organization are thrilled to work in conjunction with other students, she added.

“We are always excited about partnering with students to give God glory by our work and efforts,” Wilson said.