-

-

Coach Kelly, I have a question concerning …

| Tuesday, September 12, 2017

“What’s the question?”

Maybe if you hadn’t interrupted …

“Well, get to the question.”

All right, fine.

Coach Kelly, when will you be publicly apologizing to the journalist you patronized Saturday after the game?

“Next question.”

No, not next question.

I am disgusted by the way you addressed Laken Litman after her valid question concerning the similarities between Saturday’s loss and those from last year. But calling the way you spoke to her an “address” is too kind. You tolerated. No, you outwardly and mockingly pretended to tolerate.

And no, that’s not “good enough” for me.

You represent Notre Dame, and Saturday night you were not espousing the values that our University preaches. You treated Litman as undeserving of your attention, unworthy of your time. You played off her question as if it was an incompetent one. But you were the one who ended up looking incompetent.

You took out your frustration after the loss on a journalist. At least, I hope that’s what happened. I pray that’s not how you typically speak to people.

Coach, sometimes I struggle with taking out my negative emotions on those I love. When I’m stressed, I get a little snappy, a little short. But when the stress subsides, I realize my blunder and apologize, or make sure I am especially kind the following day. Then, in the future, I remember my mistake and attempt to not let my poor mood infringe on the dispositions of those around me.

I hope that in the future, you will not let your emotions impede your ability to behave the way a leader should behave. Unfortunately, you made your mistake quite publicly, and it deserves a public response.

Journalists are being attacked in this country enough as it is. I hope you not only apologize to Litman, but also learn to harness your emotions in the future, and behave the way a leading figure in the Notre Dame community needs to behave.

“Okay, great. Thanks.”

About Lauren Fox

Contact Lauren
  • paul

Nonsense. LL’s “polite inquiry” was really an insult masquerading as a question. “So you blew a lot of close games last year coach and you claimed to have made significant changes, but you blew it again so what’s your problem?” THAT was her real question. It was editorializing. Journalism is turning into performance art and it’s hurting the profession

• Orlando

Ms. Fox, this reader finds it ironic that you write an article about someone patronizing a journalist when your patronizing and sarcastic tone is doing the same thing to Coach Kelly.

Yes, Coach Kelly should have shown some restraint, but does your article mention one thing about how Ms Litman elected to deliver a soliloquy on last years’s season instead of just asking a question. The entire press conference was filled with specific questions and answers around the game that had just taken place and all the while, Coach Kelly provided tremendous praise and respect for the play of the opponent and their coaching staff, while also delivering a very positive view of his team and how hard they played. He was able to do this within 30 minutes of walking off the field where he and his team gave it everything they had. Instead of ducking the press conference after an emotional loss like so many other coaches do by sending in their assistants, Kelly was right there just like he was after every other win or loss.

I completely agree the head football coach at Notre Dame should have handled the journalist’s approach better, but your patronizing approach is coming 48 hours after the fact, probably while you are sitting in a comfortable chair sipping coffee and have all the freedom to choose your words exactly the way you want them. Wonder how this would be different if you were on a microphone in front of a room full of reporters firing questions at you 30 minutes after you left it all on the field. Would you have even been there?
    My guess is no…

• KD

It’s not relevant how the author would have responded, and the whole hypothetical scenario is ridiculous. Losing a football game is no excuse for being rude to a reporter and Kelly should apologize. (BTW- “I probably could’ve handled it better” is no apology.) Also not sure about characterizing the writing as patronizing. I think there is an obvious difference between a student writing an opinion column asking a face of the University to represent the same better, and a head football coach treating a reporter’s (legitimate) question with contempt.

• ramsj

good article Lauren. I expect better behavior from Coach Kelly.

• Orlando

Yes, Coach Kelly could have exercised more restraint… But, should we also expect more out of the reporter at the press conference and the reporter writing this article who is simply defending a fellow reporter. At least provide both sides.

• Hotbod Handsomeface

*Looks to see the gender of the author of this article* Heh, that figures.