Living the challenge of peace

During my time working in South Sudan, I got a chance to work closely with refugees. Mainly women and children, these people had to flee from their homes with nothing. While I was working at the school where many of the refugee children attended, I would often try to make conversation with the students. One of the many questions that I would ask was “What do you want to be when you grow up?” Consistently, the children who came from refugee families would respond, “I want to become a soldier.” When I would ask why, they would say, “So I can find the person who killed my father and family and kill him!” In places that have been inflicted with war or violence, especially for multiple generations, the word “peace” may be foreign. It is something people are told they want and urged to pursue, yet people don’t really know of peace or understand how to live in peace. Many are attracted to the idea of peace, but immediately react with violence when they encounter an obstacle. People who live the challenge of peace everyday through their actions and relationships are those that will bring peace to a community. Many people strive for peace; they just do not know what it looks like in a person. This year the theme of the Center of Social Concerns is “Living the Challenge of Peace.” Through many different talks, discussions and events, the Center will challenge students to live the challenge of peace in their daily lives and to be the example of a life of peace for their communities. Many in the world are in desperate need for peace; this year’s theme will help the Notre Dame community answer their cries.

Kevin Kho

class of 2014

Aug. 31