Notre Dame crafts new scholarship for socioeconomically disadvantaged students

Under-represented, socioeconomically disadvantaged students at Notre Dame will have the chance to be awarded a new scholarship, the Hank Aaron Chasing the Dream Scholarship, the University announced Friday.

As part of the Fighting Irish Initiative for student aid, members of the Notre Dame family made the generous gift in honor of Aaron, a baseball icon who overcame racism in his career, according to a statement from the University.

“The Fighting Irish Initiative reflects our steadfast commitment to ensure that the talented students admitted to Notre Dame can attend and find a supportive home here,” University President Fr. John Jenkins said in the statement. “Hank Aaron embodies the determination of all those who seek to fulfill their dreams, and we are grateful for the work he and his wife, Billye, have done — and are doing — to help so many young people pursue fulfilling lives.”

According to the statement, the Fighting Irish Initiative goes toward the total cost of attendance for low-income students at the University, covering tuition and fees, room and board, books, transportation and personal expenses, such as warm winter clothing, laptops and tickets to cultural and athletic events on campus.

“The Hank Aaron Chasing the Dream Scholarship will make it possible for us to enhance the support and services that we offer to our undergraduates through the Fighting Irish Initiative,” vice president for student affairs Erin Hoffmann Harding said in the statement. “I am extremely grateful for Hank and Billye Aaron’s leadership in helping our students achieve their dreams of a Notre Dame education.”