The transition into college

College is different than I thought it would be, which, of course, makes sense as I have never experienced anything similar to what college is: leaving home and moving somewhere new, college classes, becoming an “adult.”

Witnessing my older cousins going off to college, I had some idealized version of what college was going to be, a reality that does not exist, where nothing difficult ever happens.

When I entered high school, I got a little more realistic in my expectations for college was going to be like: a time of transition where hard things will happen but also a time where I would try to figure what I wanted to do with my life and who I wanted to be.

The past summer, I was in denial about going to college. I told myself (and others) that I was not terribly nervous, but inside I was. I am the type of person that hates change. And honestly, I have learned that most of the time the idea of change is scarier than the actual change itself. I was lucky enough to have a pretty great life before college, and I did not want that to change.

And here I am now, a month into being at Saint Mary’s. College has been better than I thought it would be, which sounds a little sad now reflecting on it. But for me, it is totally true.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s still incredibly scary being on my own for the first time in my life. I miss my home; I miss my family and friends. I miss attending my sibling’s soccer games and laughing at my family’s jokes. I miss the safety net that is being under my parents’ roof.

Yet, college has also been incredibly freeing. I like setting my own schedule. I like taking classes that I am interested in. The separation from my family and friends has not been nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I miss my home, but I also like it here at Saint Mary’s. The positives of college life have far outweighed the negatives.

We are now a month into classes, which is both crazy and reasonable to me at the same time. It feels like I have been at Saint Mary’s for an eternity but also that move in day was yesterday.

It is crazy to think that time has flown by this fast already, and this is just the beginning of freshman year. What college is to me will, I am sure, continue to change as I continue to develop and grow into the person I want to be, but for now I am looking forward to the rest the semester, year, and four years.