-

-

Our cultures are not your costume

| Thursday, October 26, 2017

PSA: Our cultures are not your costume.

In the 1990s, the Stanford band was banned from Notre Dame Stadium twice. Their racy performances referred to Irish people as “stinking drunks,” casually satirized a debate between the devil and a Catholic Cardinal and painted hurtful stereotypes for the purpose of “a mere joke.”

“We find the behavior of the Stanford band not merely … boorish, but personally offensive. Such bigotry — whether it is against Catholics, Jews, the Irish, African Americans, Native Americans or any other group — is unacceptable,” University president emeritus Fr. Edward “Monk” Malloy said in response.

As we approach Halloween, this coalition of cultural clubs would like to remind our campus that no one’s culture deserves to be a costume or a joke. There was no room for it in our stadium in the late ’90s, and there is no room for it on our campus now. Before you choose what you will dress up as this Halloween, remember that dressing up as any ethnic group is wrong and contrary to Notre Dame’s commitment to human dignity.

Anthony Luc
president
Asian American Association

Naana Ocran
president
African Student Association

Qai Gordon
president
Black Student Association

Gregory Jenn
president
Latino Student Alliance

Dominic Acri
president
Native American Student Association

Oct. 24

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email [email protected]