-

-

Identity politics: a real problem

| Thursday, October 12, 2017

One of my biggest fears in today’s American society is the increasing prominence of identity politics. The 2016 election proved that politicians are drifting away from championing ideas and principles and instead moving towards pandering to group identities.

Both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton sliced the voting population into distinctive groups, and consequently appealed to such groups. Trump appealed to the white working class, while Clinton appealed to minorities and the LGBT community. The candidates did not view the electorate as composed of individual voters, but rather composed of large groups, wherein the individual members of each group were not in any form dissimilar from the other members of the group. Principled ideas that could foster broad, cross-group coalitions were not offered. Rather, candidates treated voters as mindless automatons who would inevitably succumb to group think.

Donald Trump treated blue-collared white people as a monolithic tribe that could be won over simply be appealing to white identity. Hillary Clinton used the same strategy with minorities.

Obviously, Trump was successful in garnering more electoral votes than Hillary. However, the true winner may have been identity politics. Both campaigns utilized such a strategy, and I anticipate that future political campaigns will do the same.

This is quite scary. We, as Americans, are increasingly becoming obsessed with our group identities. Politicians are taking advantage of this and often pinning groups against each other in the process. Identifying as a member of a group is certainly fine. However, obsessive and excessive tendencies towards group identity can quickly become a dangerous vice.

People should not denounce their group identities. However, people should also not allow group identity to cloud one’s own self-consciousness and belief in one’s own individual uniqueness. At the end of the day, a person is a unique individual. People should not let politicians feel entitled to their vote simply because they are a member of a certain race or religion. Similarly, people should not fall for demagoguery that emphasizes group pride at the expense of ideals and principles.

We need to start holding politicians accountable to providing real, substantive policies that are rooted in ideas. Identity politics can quickly turn a nation into a cluster of feuding tribes. We cannot let this happen, because doing so would entail severe internal strife.

Politics should be the practice of engaging with ideas and offering policies; it should not a pandering competition. I pray to God that politics soon return to the former, because the latter form of politics is not only free of substance, but also of any sense of virtue or moral responsibility.

Eddie is a junior majoring in economics and political science, with a minor in Constitutional Studies. He plans on attending law school after his time as an undergraduate at Notre Dame. He can be reached at edamstra@nd.edu.

About Eddie Damstra

Eddie is a junior from Orland Park, Illinois. He is majoring in Economics and Political Science with a minor in Constitutional Studies and plans on pursuing law school after his time as an undergraduate at the University of Notre Dame.

Contact Eddie
  • warmupthediesel

We can thank Obama’s two terms for the divisiveness of our nation. He’s the undeniable king of racial/identity politicking.

• Jw

nixon getting george wallace to run as a democrat in the south and strom thurmond to drum up goldwater supporters in 68 was a much better (read: actual) job of “racial/identity politicking”

• warmupthediesel

Yeah, that’s a great example. Doesn’t excuse this:
        http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/05/politics/obama-race-relations-poll/index.html

• Jw

ah the unimpeachable evidence that is public polling in the year 2017. thanks this means a lot

• warmupthediesel

lol means more than citing an example that’s almost 50 years old, you cretin.

• Jw

because nixon and his political operatives like ailes did more to sow political division in this country than obama ever could in 8 years. obama doing something like offering a tepid response to ferguson didn’t divide the nation just because it’s the last thing you can remember. let me know actual substantive ways that obama policies divided the nation. i don’t need to know what the population of americans with landlines believes is going on in the country as they watch cable news from their couch

• eyeslevel

The more multi-racial you get, the more racial politics you get. It’s not a choice, it’s an inevitability. Each race votes in it’s interests. The only exception is a large number of white traitors vote in the interests of genetic rivals.

The people responsible for racial politics are the ones who deliberately tried to turn America non-white since 1965.

Pro-whites have always been against turning America non-white, therefore they have always been against racial politics.

ALL white countries are being deliberately turned non-white through mass non-white immigration plus forced integration. The legal term for this is WHITE GENOCIDE.