-

-

Response to October 6 Editorial

| Monday, October 9, 2017

While it is undeniably heartening to hear a call for more clinical staff at the University Counseling Center (UCC), (“Lend a Hand to the UCC” Oct. 6, 2017 Observer Editorial), it also would be remiss to leave unacknowledged the University’s efforts to bolster the number of UCC mental health providers in recent years. In 2013 and 2014, the Division of Student Affairs provided funding for UCC’s hiring of an additional three FTE psychologists and in 2016 purchased the mental health telephone services of after-hour counselors year round. In 2017, the athletic department contributed funding for two more UCC psychologist positions to help ensure mental health services for student-athletes.

Can the UCC use more resources in terms of staff? Always. Will the University continue to lend its ears, hands and heart to the mental health needs of its student body? Of that, I have no doubt.

Susan Steibe-Pasalich

Director

University Counseling Center

Oct. 8, 2017

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email viewpoint@ndsmcobserver.com