-

-

Saint Mary’s hosts annual Sophomore Parents Weekend

| Monday, October 9, 2017

Saint Mary’s sophomores did not have to wait until fall break to unite with their families this year, as the College hosted its annual Sophomore Parents Weekend on Friday and Saturday.

Sophomore Olivia Bentley said she enjoyed the tailgate and watch party, since it allowed her friends and parents to familiarize themselves with one another.

“My favorite part was cheering on the Fighting Irish with my parents and fellow Belles,” Bentley said.

Sophomore Nicole Popow said she got to spend quality time catching up with her mom, and she enjoyed the chance to talk face-to-face.

“I enjoyed just being able to sit down and talk with my mom in person about things that have been going on in our lives,” Popow said.

Bentley, who is from Baltimore, said she thinks parents weekends are valuable because she does not see her family often.

“I think it’s very important to see my parents and family as much as possible,” she said. “Parents weekend allows me to stay connected with them and is a good excuse for them to come visit me here in South Bend.”

Popow said Sophomore Parents Weekend also offered students a chance to show their families where they live during the school year. She said her mom enjoyed seeing where Popow spends most of her time.

Bentley said she enjoyed showing her family her dorm room and the South Bend community.

“I think being able to spend time with our family on Saint Mary’s campus is important because they are able to see the hard work we are putting in here,” she said.

Sophomore Caitlyn Gibbs said she enjoyed reuniting with her family at her home away from home.

“It’s hard being away from your family for so long, so any opportunity to see them is a blessing,” she said. “It also is a way for parents to show their support of their daughters’ college education. College is difficult, and it is always nice to be reminded that you have people in your corner.”

About Colleen Zewe

Contact Colleen