-

-

College prepares to welcome parents to campus for annual Sophomore Parents Weekend

| Friday, October 6, 2017

Sophomore Parents Weekend at Saint Mary’s presents an opportunity for Belles to create stronger bonds with classmates as sisters as well as share their experiences with loved ones.

Sophomore Class Council representatives Kassy Acosta and Michelle Lester worked with vice president for student affairs Karen Johnson to organize the events for the weekend. The festivities start Friday with a reception with food and drinks to allow parents and daughters to mingle.

“It is a tradition at Saint Mary’s to invite the parents to campus for a fun weekend with their daughters,” Lester said in an email. “It’s a fun weekend to spend with your parents.”

The weekend’s events continue Saturday and Sunday, and include information sessions on study abroad and internship opportunities, Lester said.

“Saturday afternoon, the parents and students are invited to enjoy Student Activity Board’s Oktoberfest,” Lester said. “At 3 p.m., we will have our main event: the dinner. This year we will be hosting the dinner as a ND game watch party in the Hilton Garden Inn Ballroom. … The football watch party is new to the weekend.”

The weekend concludes with an invitation to Sunday Mass at the Church of Our Lady of Loretto.

Sophomore Parents Weekend is an RSVP-only event, but Acosta said she encourages students to attend future parent weekends to share their experiences with family members.

“Sophomore Parents Weekend is an amazing opportunity for Belles to show their parents a small part of their life here at Saint Mary’s,” Acosta said in an email. “I would encourage every Belle to join in future parent weekends such as Junior Moms and Senior Dads because it encourages families to come together and make memories throughout their college journey.”

Acosta has been a class representative since she was a first year student, and she said she enjoys collaborating with peers to produce fulfilling events such as Sophomore Parents Weekend.

“I applied to be a Class Representative my freshman year, and I have graciously been given the opportunity to continue to represent my class and provide fun events for them to continue to grow as sisters throughout their time here at Saint Mary’s,” she said. “I love being able to represent not only my class, but the Saint Mary’s … community in the most positive way.”

Belonging to Class Council has given Acosta the chance to create strong friendships with other students, she said. Activities put on by the group endorse the formation of these types of bonds, Acosta said.

“I am also proud of my co-rep [Lester], who has been a sister and best friend here at Saint Mary’s,” Acosta said. “Class Council has allowed me to find a place here at Saint Mary’s, and I am eternally grateful for it.”

Tags: ,

About Maria Leontaras

Contact Maria