Cervelli encourages community to foster open dialogue

Saint Mary's President Jan Cervelli sent an email to the student body Thursday addressing diversity and inclusion initiatives on campus.

Cervelli said in the email the President’s Council on Inclusivity and Multicultural Diversity (PCIMD) has compiled a list of Community Dialogue Events throughout this academic year. Upcoming events include a tribute to essayist and civil rights activist Audre Lorde, which will take place at 7 p.m. in Vander Vennet Theatre on Wednesday.

“I encourage faculty, staff and students to attend at least two of the Community Dialogue events listed here,” she said. 

Cervelli said in the email the events will foster an understanding environment on campus.

“The events on this list are intended to cultivate open, honest and broad dialogue about the collective challenges we face and our accountability to one another,” she said. “The result of PCIMD’s work is to promote understanding of differences, and to create an environment where all feel valued, respected and supported. We must seize opportunities to promote the awareness of common interests and shared goals among faculty, staff and students. We ask for your help and commitment to ensure a culturally inclusive college.”