Students look forward to attending College GameDay taping before taking on Miami

ESPN’s “College GameDay” will be in Coral Gables, Florida, for No. 3 Notre Dame’s game against No. 7 Miami on Saturday from 9 a.m. to noon.

Senior David Hessert, who will be attending the game, said College GameDay is known to cover games featuring teams with “storied rivalries, where there are implications for both teams’ success.”

1510265302-eb744c0a20b86e7-700x466
Rosie LoVoi | The Observer
Senior and Notre Dame leprechaun Joe Fennessy entertains the crowd during Notre Dame’s 48-37 victory over Wake Forest.

Hessert said he believes the broadcast is sure to draw national attention for the game.

“College GameDay tends to heighten the anticipation around the game and creates a really fun atmosphere for fans,” he said.

Hessert said he had attended a game covered by College GameDay once before — the Notre Dame-South Carolina game in 2005.

The atmosphere of the game “was absolutely electric,” Hessert said.

“You could just feel the excitement in the air,” he said.

Senior Morgan Dunn, who is also attending the game, said she is particularly excited for Saturday because of the historic rivalry between Notre Dame and Miami. The rivalry stems largely from a 1988 game in which Notre Dame defeated Miami 31-30, Dunn said.

As for game day predictions, Dunn said she believes the Irish will win by two touchdowns.

“Their defense is pretty good,” Dunn said. “But our offense will overtake them.”

Despite the fact that Miami remains undefeated this season, Hessert said he also predicts a Notre Dame victory.

“[Miami] really hasn’t had a formidable opponent yet,” Hessert said. “Notre Dame will be their true test.”

The outcome of the game is likely to depend on Notre Dame’s rushing offense, Hessert said.

“If our offensive line can make a bit of a push, we should be able to win,” he said.

Senior Joe Fennessy, who serves as the Notre Dame Leprechaun for football games, will also be in Florida for the game this weekend.

As the Leprechaun, Fennessy said his main job will be rallying support for the Irish and interacting with fans before and during the game.

After making an appearance at a pep rally hosted by the Notre Dame Club of Miami on Friday night, Fennessy said he will arrive on set for the College GameDay broadcast by 8 a.m. on Saturday.

Fennessy said he expects Saturday’s program to cover “anything from short segments on players and coaches to in-depth reviews of different teams.”

Fennessy said he is particularly excited for the prediction segment at the end of the broadcast. Lee Corso, one of the show’s four hosts, concludes each program by donning the mascot headgear of the team he predicts to win, Fennessy said.

Fennessy said he hopes for a vote for Notre Dame, and is confident in the team’s ability to return to South Bend with a victory.

“Of course I think the Irish are going to win,” Fennessy said. “They’ve been working hard. The team’s getting better every week.”