Staff Predictions: Interhall championship

Mia Berry — Interhall Editor

No. 2 Dillon v. No. 9 Duncan

After last year’s crushing defeat to Stanford, Duncan is hungrier than ever for its first-ever interhall championship. The Highlanders only loss on the season came against Morrissey in week 2, and the Highlanders have proven throughout the season they’re a lot better than their seeding and record indicate. With a high-scoring offense led by senior Matthew Kase, the offensive arsenal that the Highlanders have will be too much for Dillon’s defense.

Dillon has posted an undefeated season characterized by a strong defensive effort, as no opponent has scored more than seven points against it all season, but Duncan is different. Dillon hasn’t faced an offense with a balanced running and passing attack, and the combination of the two should pose a threat to the Big Red.

Duncan has the desire and experience to capture its first interhall championship in a close battle against one of interhall’s better defenses.

FINAL SCORE: Duncan 18, Dillon 13

No. 2 McGlinn v. No. 4 Flaherty

After a week 2 regular-season game that ended in a McGlinn victory and a Flaherty loss, history probably won’t repeat itself when the Bears and the Shamrocks face off for a second time this season in the interhall championships. Flaherty’s momentum and experience should lead it to victory this Sunday against McGlinn.

Heading into the championship game, both Flaherty and McGlinn are one-loss teams that are pretty much evenly matched on both offense and defense. Flaherty’s key advantage comes from the experience that Flaherty seniors, formerly Pangborn residents, that won the championship their freshman year.

After defeating the undefeated and No. 1-seeded Breen-Phillips, momentum is definitely on Flaherty’s side heading into the championship. The game will be the ultimate defensive battle between the two teams, and given Flaherty’s defensive effort over the last few weeks, it has the advantage.

FINAL SCORE: Flaherty 12, McGlinn 7

Darcy Dehais — Interhall Editor

No. 2 Dillon v. No. 9 Duncan

The Highlanders have not forgotten their exciting run to the stadium last year, where their remarkable season came to an end after they came up short in the championship game against Stanford.

The key parts of this game will be seen in the offensive run game of both teams. Whichever squad can shut down the talented running backs on the field in this game will have the edge.

For the Highlanders, senior defensive back Declan Zidar and sophomore captain Kyle Tomshack have done an excellent job of anchoring the defense and holding teams to no more than two touchdowns in any game this season.

The Big Red are a dominant defensive force as well, posting four shutouts over the course of the regular season. However, the Highlanders are hoping for their first win in the stadium and balanced offensive attack in the pass and run games will prove too much to handle.

FINAL SCORE: Duncan 20, Dillon 7

No. 2 McGlinn v. No. 4 Flaherty

Flaherty’s only loss came at the hands of the Shamrocks in the second week of the regular season, but it is hungry for a rematch.

Characterized by key senior leadership in captains Jacklyn Cooney, Annie Batcheller and Molly McClure, the Bears have several players with experience in the interhall playoffs and are prepared to take on the stadium. They are coming into the championship hot off a win over No. 1 Breen-Phillips, and this win should fuel them and allow them to carry momentum heading into the championship.

While the Shamrocks’ only loss this season was by a touchdown to Cavanaugh, the rest of their wins came by close margins. Aside from a 21-0 defeat of Lyons, each of their other victories came by no more than eight points. It will take a dominant offensive effort to surpass the Bears this weekend.

Both teams will put their defense on display in this matchup, making for a low-scoring game in which the Bears will edge the Shamrocks by a slim margin.

FINAL SCORE: Flaherty 13, McGlinn 6