Notre Dame a cappella groups prepare to perform end-of-semester concerts

As the semester comes to a close, a number of a cappella groups on campus — including Halftime, Harmonia, The Echoes, Unchained Melodies and The Undertones — are set to perform their seasonal concerts.

Senior Anthony Caputo, Halftime co-president, said he is excited for people to attend their upcoming concert since it will truly showcase all of Halftime’s hard work throughout the semester.

“This year we tried to arrange more based off of solo voice rather than just arranging songs and then putting a voice on it, and we have found this to be much more successful when making all of our songs,” he said. “We think people will see that in our concert, which we are really excited about.”

Senior Rachel Warne, co-president of Harmonia, said she hopes Harmonia’s diverse mix of modern, alternative, pop and throwback tunes will provide songs everyone will enjoy.

While all the a cappella groups on campus work toward their respective concerts, each group considers the relationships between members to be of great importance.

“We’ve worked really hard to make sure the atmosphere in the club is one that’s tight knit and kind of familial,” Warne said. “It’s really nice to have group of people on campus that you have ties with automatically.”

Senior Matt Williams, president of The Echoes, said the members of The Echoes don’t take themselves too seriously, and they look forward to Christmas caroling outside of DeBartolo Hall and O’Shaughnessy Hall to spread Christmas cheer in the upcoming weeks.

“At the end of the day we’re not about competing,” Williams said.  “We’re not even about necessarily performing; we’re just a group of people who really enjoy each other and who like making music together.”

Senior Laura Eckert, president of Christian a cappella group Unchained Melodies, said being a part of an a cappella group not only provides a break from academic studies, but also allows students to enjoy music communally. 

She said because Unchained Melodies is a Christian a cappella group, the group uses music not only as a medium to strengthen the bonds between members, but also as a way to praise God.

“Being in Unchained Melodies has really helped me grow musically. I’ve learned how to listen to other people and how to mend my talents to theirs so we become a cohesive group,” Eckert said. “I’ve also grown in my faith. We really try to support each other and push each other to grow closer to God.”

Senior Kevin Warten, music director of The Undertones, also said a cappella groups offer more than just an opportunity to create music.

“Whether in an officer position or a new member, a person can learn so much about teamwork, responsibility and commitment, not to mention confidence, by rehearsing and performing with a group,” he said in an email.

Senior Daniel Bland, a member of The Echoes, said audience members should look forward to hearing the unique ways in which each of the a cappella groups arrange their songs in the upcoming concerts.

Halftime has its annual winter concert Dec. 7 at 7:30 p.m on the Mainstage in Washington Hall. Tickets are available for $5 at LaFortune Box Office or from any Halftime member.

Harmonia has its end-of-semester show Friday at 7 p.m. on the Mainstage in Washington Hall. Tickets are available for $5 at the door or from any Harmonia member.

Unchained Melodies have a Christmas concert Dec. 6 at 6:30 p.m. in the Lafortune Ballroom. Admission is free. 

The Undertones has its winter concert Dec. 8 at 8 p.m. on the Mainstage in Washington Hall. Tickets are available for $5 in the LaFortune Box Office, at the door or from any group member.