Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Deon McIntosh sent home ahead of Citrus Bowl after violating team rules

Sophomore running back Deon McIntosh joined the list of Irish players suspended for No. 14 Notre Dame’s Citrus Bowl clash with No. 17 LSU on Monday, being sent home for a violation of team rules, a program spokesperson confirmed Saturday.

1507412474-98cd2731a2959df-700x467
Irish sophomore running back Deon McIntosh skirts around a defender during Notre Dame's 33-10 win over North Carolina on Oct. 7 at Kenan Memorial Stadium in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

McIntosh is the fourth Irish player and the second running back to be suspended for the bowl game. On Dec. 20, Irish head coach Brian Kelly confirmed sophomore wide receiver Kevin Stepherson and freshman running back C.J. Holmes were suspended indefinitely after a WNDU report that the pair were arrested for shoplifting Dec. 15.

The following day, Dec. 21, Kelly announced junior tight end Alize Mack would also be suspended for the bowl game for an “internal team matter.” The Irish will also be without a fifth offensive player due to injury, as sophomore wide receiver Chase Claypool will miss the game after injuring his right shoulder in practice.

McIntosh has been listed as the fourth Irish running back on the depth chart throughout the season, but he still made an impact this season due to lingering injuries to juniors Josh Adams and Dexter Williams and sophomore Tony Jones Jr. McIntosh finished third on the team in carries, rushing yards and rushing touchdowns, running 65 times for 368 yards and five touchdowns, ahead of both Jones and Williams.

The high point of his 2017 season came at North Carolina, where he rushed for 124 yards and two touchdowns on 12 carries in Notre Dame’s 33-10 win. However, he saw only one carry for one yard in the final three games of the regular season, during which the Irish went 1-2.