Updated Angela Athletic Facility opens for spring semester

The Angela Athletic Facility is now open at Saint Mary’s and features all-new gym equipment, as well as multiple lounges, television viewing spaces and a brand new cafe.

Murphy’s Cafe tested the waters this week by giving out free samples of its healthy food options in hopes to get feedback on the new menu. Sophomore Haley Roecker said she has tried multiple items from the new cafe and is happy with the kinds of food being offered.

“The new cafe is amazing,” she said. “Personally, I have tried the Le Mans and McCandless smoothies and the veggie wrap. For the smoothies, they used all fresh fruit and they were delicious. All of the menu options are healthy, which I think is a great alternative for Saint Mary’s to have.”

Senior lacrosse player Liana O’Grady said she is thankful the facility was completed before she graduated, as she believes it will increase opportunities for both her team and other Saint Mary’s teams sharing the space.

“The new Angela offers everything we need to practice and become the great Division III college that we believe we are,” she said in an email. “With more court space, improved training facilities and our own locker rooms, we are able to become more focused on our sport, rather than trying to juggle practice times and workout classes with the rest of the community. I believe the improvements to Angela will make other teams and recruits take us more seriously when they come to our campus.”

O’Grady said she is excited for the new cafe because it ties the Saint Mary’s community together while also expanding options in dining.

“I believe by offering healthier options and delicious smoothies, the cafe will encourage the Saint Mary’s community to expand their taste buds and be more conscious about making healthier choices,” O’Grady said. “The cafe also has fun names for their food options, for example, the smoothies are named after the dorms on campus. This adds a personal touch and connection to Saint Mary’s that the community can all relate to.”

Senior Shaianne Chavez-Fields, said she likes the open concept of the new facility, as well as its natural lighting, which she described as a nice change from other more closed-off buildings on campus. One of her professors hosts office hours in the new cafe and Chavez-Fields said she hopes other professors will also begin to utilize the new building.

“We have a class in there which is really great,“ she said. “I think it would be cool if a lot of other professors would incorporate the classes into the building and take advantage of this awesome facility we have.” 

O’Grady said she also has classes in Angela, which is nice change from the normal classroom setting. This change of scenery is beneficial to her health, she said, and increases her energy during the day.

“I actually have two classes in Angela, which I enjoy because I am able to get something from the cafe before or after class, or even work out,” O’Grady said. “By having these classes in Angela, I feel as though I am subconsciously being healthy and feel a closer tie to the healthy community and people around me that are using the new facility.”