Josh Adams declares for NFL Draft

Junior running back Josh Adams has opted to enter the 2018 NFL draft and not return for his senior season at Notre Dame, according to a post on his Instagram page Friday.

“With a lot of thought, prayer and discussion with my family, I have decided to forgo my senior year and enter the 2018 NFL draft,” the post said. “I’d like to thank the University, my coaches, support staff and everyone who has been with me throughout my journey at Notre Dame.”

Adams finished his Irish career fifth all time for the program in rushing yards, sixth in yards from scrimmage and 13th all time in rushing touchdowns. He finished his junior year just seven yards short of the all-time Irish record for rushing yards in a season, set by Vagas Ferguson in 1979. His 6.7 career yards per attempt rank first in Notre Dame history among players with 200 or more carries.

1515159314-80527c4b1631f2c-700x461
Irish junior running back Josh Adams sheds a tackler in Notre Dame's 21-17 victory over LSU in the Citrus Bowl on Jan. 1 in Orlando, Florida.

After arriving at Notre Dame as a three-star recruit, Adams quickly made an impact as a freshman due to a season-ending injury to starting running back Tarean Folston in the first game of the 2015 season, taking carries in all 13 games and starting in three, while rushing for a freshman record 838 yards, including a Notre Dame Stadium-record long 97-yard score against Wake Forest.

Although the Irish struggled to a 4-8 record his sophomore season, Adams started all but the season-opener and led the team in rushing with 933 yards. He posted a career-high in receptions with 21 and in receiving yards with 193.

As a junior, Adams had the most prolific season of his college career and among the most successful of any Notre Dame running back, running for 1430 yards despite battling injuries that limited his carries. His 6.9 yards per attempt ranked ninth in the nation among qualifying players, while he also achieved a career-high in touchdowns with nine.

Earning a reputation for long runs, he ran for 60 yards or more on seven separate plays. He ran for over 150 yards in five different games, including a high of 229 against Boston College, while he also ran for 191 against rivals USC and 202 the following week against North Carolina State. He is one of only four Irish running backs with multiple 200-yard games. He was a semifinalist for the Maxwell Award and Walter Camp Award, both for the best college football player in the nation.

Adams joins junior wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown in declaring early for the 2018 draft, while on the other side of the ball junior defensive tackle Jerry Tillery and junior linebacker Te’von Coney are yet to make their decisions.

In the post announcing his intentions to enter the draft, Adams also said he intends to return at some point to complete his degree.

“I’ll definitely be back to earn and receive my degree at Notre Dame,” the post said.