Observer elects next Editor-in-Chief for upcoming term

The Observer General Board elected current News Editor Courtney Becker as Editor-in-Chief for the 2018-2019 term Saturday.

Becker, a junior living in Pasquerilla West Hall, is currently pursuing a major in Film, Television and Theatre (FTT) with a minor in journalism, ethics and democracy (JED).

“Courtney has been one of the most talented reporters at The Observer over the last three years, and she has shown herself to be an excellent leader as News Editor this year,” outgoing Editor-in-Chief Ben Padanilam said. “Her commitment to and passion for The Observer is unparalleled, and I am excited to see what she will accomplish next year.”

A New York City native, Becker has led the News department since March 2017. Throughout her time in the News department, Becker has written extensively about the University’s various expansion projects and how national politics affect the political climate on campus.

“I am so excited and honored to lead The Observer for the next year,” Becker said. “The Observer has taken plenty of great strides forward since I joined it during my freshman year, and I have learned so much from the people with whom I’ve worked. I hope to continue that progress from this year’s Editorial Board moving forward, and I am looking forward to covering the issues that affect campus in new ways.”

Becker will begin her term as Editor-in-Chief on March 4.