Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Senior Class Council to engage seniors in 'Guac off' challenge

Senior Class Council will host a “Guac Off” event at Legends of Notre Dame on Wednesday night at 7 p.m., where teams of seniors will compete to create the best guacamole. The event is open to taste testing from all grades, and the senior class judges will be determined via raffle at the event.

Senior class vice president Janet Stengle, who helped organize the event with Campus Dining and Legends, said she has received positive feedback about the competition.

“Campus Dining was really enthusiastic about the idea,” Stengle said. “Legends has been great. They are providing fresh ingredients and all the materials needed.”

The 10 teams are comprised of up to three people, and each will receive its own station with the basic ingredients Legends provides, including avocados, tomatoes and cilantro. Stengle said Legends’ catering levels the playing field for all competing teams and is easy and safe, as ingredients will come chopped and ready for guacamole preparation.

Senior Class Council utilized Facebook and email to spread the word about Wednesday’s “Guac Off,” she said.

“Email has been super effective because it’s the one way you can actually reach every single member of the class,” Stengle said. “We’ve been promoting over Facebook, as well, and spreading through word of mouth, and it seems like people are really excited about it.”

Although the teams and judges are limited to the Class of 2018, Stengle said Class Council wants this event to be inclusive for all guacamole lovers.

“We want it to be a fun event for everyone who comes, not just the people who are making the guacamole,” she said. “We’re trying to do something different and get people involved in various ways. You can be mixing, you can be judging, you can be just hanging out, watching and having fun, so that’s our goal.”

Stengle said Senior Class Council encourages people to come, cheer their friends on and enjoy a night of guacamole Wednesday. Additionally, Senior Class Council’s next event, “Life Beyond the Notre Dame Bubble,” will place Feb. 11 at noon in the Dahnke Ballroom in Duncan Student Center. Featuring presentations from South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Lou Holtz, this event will offer advice to the Class of 2018 for post-grad life, Stengle said.